Actions and Detail Panel
Equate Scotland Conference 2017: Women into STEM: How to Take Action
Wed 26 April 2017, 09:00 – 15:00 BST
A full-day workshop exploring how Scotland’s science, technology, engineering and built environment industries can increase women’s participation and progression.
Equate Scotland are the national experts on recruiting and retaining women in STEM and the built environment industries, with over 10 years’ experience advising and supporting employers, colleges and universities. We work with STEM and built environment organisations of any size, across the public, private and third sectors.
These industries need strong talent, along with the innovation and problem solving made possible by diversity. Women and girls are equipped to plug the skills gaps yet still remain grossly underrepresented, with only 27% of women students staying in STEM and only 12% progressing to senior positions.
Reaching out to women is no easy feat, presenting challenges to employers, colleges and universities. Some organisations may be getting started, questioning what they can and cannot do. Some may be taking action already but seeing limited return on their investment. Others may be uncertain how to stay within tight timeframes, budgets and the law.
Equate Scotland presents a full-day conference of thought-provoking ideas, activities and discussions, exploring lawful, non-patronising strategies to rise to the challenge and increase women’s participation and progression in STEM. The event will include refreshments and lunch, and there will be an opportunity to book further support and training. To see the full programme click here.
- Gain knowledge of the practical steps needed to take positive action and encourage talented women to join and stay in STEM.
- Tailor your professional development by choosing three out of six sessions, including unconscious bias, flexible working, reaching young people, work placement schemes, recruitment language and women’s networks.
- Hear from STEM employers and training providers who have taken positive steps and overcome challenges to recruit and retain women.
- Network with other employers and training providers to share best practice and make links for the future.
- Develop or strengthen your relationship with Equate Scotland’s experts and book bespoke support and/or training.
This event is open to people of all genders and is designed to cater to a wide range of professionals across all sectors. Strategists, directors, HR professionals, marketing professionals, equality and diversity leads, line managers and board members may find the event particularly relevant.
Please be aware that session places are limited and we expect them to book up quickly.