Join us for tips on communicating your charity’s research, planning communication campaigns and tackling controversial topics.
About this event
Interest around medical research is high, particularly from donors and people who are affected, or know those affected by a medical condition.
In this workshop we’ll look at how you can talk about your research in a way that is understandable, engaging, and jargon free. We’ll help you figure out how to reach your audience, be it through your website, at events or on social media.
You will hear from other charities on their communication campaigns. You’ll find out how they’ve planned campaigns, got researchers involved, embraced new social media platforms and successfully tackled controversial topics without alienating supporters.
If you’re new to communications or if your charity has a small communications team this workshop is a good opportunity to discover what’s worked for other charities, both large and small. It’s also a great chance to meet other communications staff and discuss common problems and concerns.
- How to plan and evaluate a communications campaign. Find out how funders have run successful campaigns.
- Tips on writing for the public. Learn how to write lay summaries, leaflets and blogs for the public.
- How to use social media most effectively. Understand the challenges of using social media and how to choose the most appropriate platform for your story.
- How to tackle controversial topics. Using the example of animal research you will learn how to be open when writing about research using animals whilst being prepared for enquiries from the public and the media.
Who's it for?
For communications staff at medical research charities and related organisations
- You can request a refund though your Eventbrite account.
- Credit cannot be transferred between events, you may cancel and book on a different event.
- If you cancel more that 10 working days before the event, we will issue a full refund.
- If you cancel less than 10 working days before the event, we will issue a partial refund and charge you £40.
- Please note, if the order was placed more than six months ago, your card details will no longer be stored with Eventbrite. AMRC can issue an offline refund, which will incur an admin fee of £40.
When & Where
Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC)
AMRC is the national membership organisation of leading medical and health research charities.