Actions and Detail Panel
Feature writing and digital storytelling with Jon Henley
Mon, November 28, 2016, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM GMT
Senior Guardian feature writer Jon Henley reveals how to make the most of digital journalism
Online reporting means the news now travels as fast as a story develops. This illuminating evening course, led by senior Guardian feature writer Jon Henley, explores the opportunities created by digital platforms, and how you can use them to tell powerful stories. Whether you’re new to journalism or want to update your digital skillset, the class is a fantastic opportunity to soak up insights from one of the Guardian’s most respected journalists.
Using examples from the Guardian’s award-winning, multimedia reporting projects, the class shows you how to build flexibility into a story, allowing you to stay abreast of developments as they happen. You’ll also learn the fundamental storytelling principles that underpin all quality journalism, whether online or print, as well as the best ways to use social media to source stories and grab the attention of an online audience.
- Why journalism in the digital age has to be different
- How to use social media to source and tell stories
- Why writing for the web changes the way journalists write
- How to spot a good story
- The fundamentals of good storytelling, in print and online
- Multimedia storytelling – how to tell one story across several different platforms
Jon Henley is a senior Guardian feature writer responsible the Guardian’s acclaimed series Greece on the Breadline and the multi-award-winning multimedia interactive Firestorm. Over a 20-year career on the Guardian, Jon has reported from more than 30 countries and all five continents, including a ten-year stint as the paper’s chief Paris correspondent. Read his Guardian articles here.
- Jon Henley is really an engaging storyteller, enthusiastic and inspiring. I wanted to do features again!
- Jon was very engaging, a great storyteller. Was very useful to have him hook what he was talking about onto actual examples of his writing. Really brought things to life and enhanced what was being taught.
- The content was made all the better by Jon’s presentation. He clearly has passion for his work and it made his lecture very engaging.
- Very well structured – a lot of ground covered in a short amount of time.