A fun & festive morning creating a trendy drip cake with Anna Adams from Kintbury’s The Kennet House Cake Company. Drip cakes are super-versatile and will become your go-to celebration cake for all manner of occasions – in this case, Christmas! This course includes so many cakey fundamentals that are transferable to all of your cake decorating. We will be trimming and layering cakes, crumb coating and buttercreaming – all of which would also put you in the perfect place to go on to cover a cake with professionally smooth fondant. Then we will be showing you the basics of figure modelling to create cute toppers for cakes – again we will be sharing methods and tips which will be reusable time and again for all your future figures. Finally we will let you in on a couple of professional secrets to create that apparently effortless ‘drip’ effect, with our gorgeous Belgian chocolate ganache recipe.
We are passionate about cake and look forward to sharing with you how easy it can be to create cakes that both look and taste amazing. This class is decorating-centred, but we will happily chat baking and answer any questions you can bring to us. We will be packing as much as we can into this short class to ensure that you go away with techniques that apply to all cakes large and small; as well as answering any of those frustrating decorating questions that have been preventing your cakes from stopping shows. No previous experience is required.
- Overview of baking sponges, tips and tricks
- Making buttercream & syrups
- ‘Torting’ a sponge cake (leveling and layering ready for filling)
- Trimming a cake ready for buttercream
- Crumb coats & perfect buttercream covering
- Introduction to figure modeling, tips and tricks
- Making a pouring ganache
- Assembling a festive drip cake
What you'll make:
- Light and fluffy buttercream
- A rich & shiny chocolate ganache
- A filled, buttercreamed and decorated cake
- A festive sugar model topper
- Arrive at 9.30am for tea and coffee and course introduction.
- An overview of baking and tips for creating perfect sponges.
- Preparing & covering a sponge cake
- Working with ganache to achieve a ‘drip’ effect
- Modeling a festive sugar figure
- Break for coffee/tea and, of course, cake.
- Course comes to a close at 1.30pm (at which point you may wish to carry on the festive mood & book yourself into the Woodspeen restaurant for lunch)
To take away:
- All notes from the day, including recipes, tips and tricks. A beautiful, festive cake.
Spaces for this course are subject to minimum number of participants.