San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
An interactive one day programme providing skills and confidence to understand finance
Speaker Stephem Brookson https://www.linkedin.com/in/stephen-brookson-9219458
Explaining finance for HR professionals
As an HR professional you recognise that effective business management demands proper financial awareness.
This programme certainly covers the basic financial skills you need as an HR professional.
The programme uses real financial information, both internal and external, and very few powerpoint slides.
This programme will provide you with a sound understanding of the financial tools and techniques to make you an even more effective HR and business manager.
1 Communicate with the finance function in their language
2 Challenge numbers and know what key questions to ask about them
3 Contribute with confidence to board discussion about financial performance
4 Prepare HR budgets with more depth and meaning
5 Review management information with a higher level insight
6 Read the financial press with enthusiasm and a desire to understand what is happening in your market
1 Profit and Loss Account, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement
2 How to get started – which numbers to look at first
3 Learning to ask the right questions rather than to expect answers from the numbers
4 Key accounting language – how to judge performance quickly and intuitively
5 How to assess financial strength and the management capability
6 A simple, structured approach to interpretation of the numbers
7 Checking the cash – how to spot the danger signs in a business
8 Jargon busting: EBIT, EBITDA, ROE, ROCE, EVA, TSR and all the others
9 The annual report – a brochure for all stakeholders: what the accounts reveal about a company’s image, social responsibility and pension fund!
Understanding The Greater Financial Picture
- • How to read the financial pages: yields, price/ earnings ratios, market capitalisation
- • What influences share prices, and what is meant by terms such as ‘equity’ and ‘shareholder value’?
- • Understanding capital market pressures on businesses
Budgeting and Management Information
- • Budgeting jargon – zero based, incremental, cost behaviour
- • Understanding monthly management information - where the numbers come from, what do they mean and how to explain variances
Making a business case
- • What is a relevant cost
- • How investment decisions are made - understanding payback, net present value and internal rate of return
The role of HR in successful financial decision making
Save This Event
When & Where
The HR Society
THe HR Society are the UK's leading experts in Workforce Planning and Strategy. We provide leading-edge workshops and seminars hosted by Workforce Planning experts.