San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Learn the foundations of The Art of Photography with professional photographer Craig Girling.
This is a two part course.
Part 1 will take place on Saturday 6th May 2017 from 10am - 2pm.
Part 2 will take place on Saturday 13th May 2017 from 10am - 2pm.
By booking your place at this workshop, you agree to take part in both Part 1 and Part 2.
This two-part workshop is for photographers who want to develop their craft from a solid technical foundation. It covers the essential core skills you need to grow as a technically competent, creative photographer.
Part 1: Taking Control of the Camera
- Introduction to "The Camera”
- What is a Camera? - in its most basic form - and how does it form and capture an image? Explained through looking at; the camera obscura, the pinhole camera & early film cameras.
- Introduction to modern camera types: DSLRs, mirrorless, compacts, film cameras.
- The modern camera demystified. The key controls; focus and exposure.
- Shutter speed, Aperture & ISO: What are they, what do they do, & what effects do they all have.
- The relationship of shutter speed, aperture & ISO, and how they work together to give a good exposure.
- Under & over exposure (exposure clipping).
- Focus explained in basic terms. Manual focus, autofocus.
- Controls specific to digital cameras.
- White Balance - Colour temperature: What it is and how to deal with it.
- Image Quality - RAW & JPG: What are they, the pros & cons of each.
Part 2: Making Images Through the Lens
- Introduction to The Lens
- Lens types: Prime, standard, wide angle, telephoto & zoom.
- Specialist lenses: Macro, tilt-shift.
- Using Lenses
- Lens choice: How to choose which lens to use and why.
- Focal length: The effects of focal length; reach, perspective, distortion, depth of field.
- Lens technical considerations: Camera shake and its relation to focal length, the effect of aperture on lens performance.
- Camera Settings & How to Choose Them
- Considerations & Choices: Light level, subject type, technical constraints, depth of field, motion blur, creative exposure.
- Exposure modes: Manual, aperture priority, shutter priority & program
- Setting exposure in manual
- Setting exposure in aperture/shutter priority
- Other Basic Equipment:
- Introduction to; tripods, lights (flash & continuous) & reflectors.
- Coda - Using your Images
- Brief discussion on; digital post-production & workflow, data security (backup & archiving). printing, publishing online, copyright.
Craig Girling is a commercial photographer, specialising in interiors & architecture. He also shoots still-life subjects in his studio at Old Jet. His photographic background began with a formal training in film photography at art school, followed by many years of self-education and practice. He has been shooting professionally for the last 5 years. His approach to photography is quite structured and methodical. He believes that to become an accomplished creative photographer you must first learn to master your tools.
Save This Event
When & Where
OLD JET is a new arts centre on the ex U.S. Air Force Base Bentwaters Parks in Suffolk. Please visit our website and social media site to keep up with events, classes and courses. www.oldjet.co.uk