Actions and Detail Panel
Freestyle Machine Embroidery
Sun 5 March 2017, 11:00 – 17:00 GMT
Did you know you can draw with a sewing machine? This class will introduce you to the creativity and joy of freestyle machine embroidery. Join Barley Massey who over the course of the day will share tips on how to achieve different machine embroidered effects. From a simple stitched line drawing, sketching, stylised graphical applique shapes/lettering, to building up layers of fabric remnants and couched threads and yarns (a lovely effect for landscapes) You will leave with your own unique piece of textile art and the skills and inspiration to create more pieces at home.
On completion of the class, participants should confidently be able to:
- Understand how to prepare a machine and fabric for freestyle machine embroidery
- Use the machine to draw with thread
- Explore a range of techniques including creating shapes / outlines, shading, changing thread colours and texturing
- Translate ideas into expressive textile art
- Use freestyle machine embroidery in other applications such as patching and embellishing garments
Includes a pick n mix selection of fabrics, threads, use of 'Brother' sewing machibes, scissors etc
YOU WILL REQUIRE: Bring some ideas you'd like to translate into stitch - perhaps a family photograph, a landcape you love or an inspirational quote. (We also have a range of textile books and examples to look through here) OR an item of clothing you'd like to customise / re style.
For more information about Fabrications and our classes, please visit our Website
Booking Terms & Conditions