From Things to Services – The rise of service design and social innovation in Asia Pacific
Thursday, 5 February 2015 from 08:45 to 20:00 (Singapore Standard Time Singapore Time)
This landmark event brings together key change-makers in Singapore and Asia-Pacific region who are shaping the landscape in service design and social innovation for positive impact. This is the inaugural event for Design and Social Innovation in Asia Pacific – a platform, network and community of practice for people working in this evolving space. The event will inspire ideas, stimulate discussion, provoke thinking and collaboratively explore what it means to design in this landscape.Our aim is to create a forum for mutual learning about the various social innovation initiatives currently happening around Asia Pacific by encouraging a conversational atmosphere.
The day will consist of three sessions. The morning session will be primarily focused on educational aspects of service design and social innovation. The afternoon session will be focused on practices in the social enterprises space while the evening session will be focused on social innovation projects from the field.
All social innovators, designers, design students, academics and those interested in design from business, government and voluntary sector organisations are welcome. This event is free to attend but spaces are limited. Please make sure you sign up to ensure a seat.
Welcome: 9am - Introduction by Yoko Akama and Joyce Yee
Morning Session: Social impact through an educational platform (9:30 – 12:15pm)
- 9:30am – Nanci Takeyama, Assistant Professor from Nanyang Technological University. Talk title: Design for Culture
- 10:00am – Chong Keng Hua, Assistant Professor from Singapore University of Technology & Design (SUTD). Talk title: Slow Design.
- 10:30am – Joseph Foo, designer from 3nity, 3X, Neighour Program. Talk title: The Concept of ‘3’: Giving birth to endless possibilities.
- 11:00am – Kal Joffres, CEO of Tandemic. Talk title: Rethinking how we teach Design Thinking.
- 11:30am – Conversation session with morning session speakers.
Lunch: 12:15-1:15pm (please note that lunch is not provided)
Afternoon Session: Social practices in innovation & design (1:15pm – 4:00pm)
- 1:15pm – Suthasina Chaolertseree, service designer/strategist. Talk title: Design thinking in social marketing campaigns.
- 1:45pm – Tong Yee, co-founder of The Thought Collective. Talk title: Designing businesses for innovation and social relevance.
- 2:15pm – Vipavee Kunavichayanont, founder of Design for Disasters. Talk title: Design for Disaster: From Ideas to Actualization.
- 2:45pm – Vicki Gerrard, co-founder and executive director from Opportunity Lab at the Singapore University of Technology & Design (SUTD) and Carol Candler, evaluation consultant from the Lien Centre for Social Innovation.
- 3:15pm – Conversation session with afternoon session speakers.
Evening Session: Social impact in the field (4:30pm – 7:30pm)
- 4:30pm – Brandon Edwards, executive creative director & co-founder of Frog APAC. Talk title: mAgri: Enhancing the Lives for Farmers Through Service Design.
- 5:00pm – Hiroshi Tamura and Fumiko Ichikawa, co-founders of Re:public.Talk title: Innovation ecologies - a ‘Think' and ‘Do' tank for architecting innovation capacity in Japan.
- 5:30pm – Bernise Ang, co-founder and executive director of Zeroth Lab and Syinc. Talk title: Innovating without a brief: blending anthropology, data, and design to tackle the messy urbanisation problems in developing Asia.
- 6:00pm – Tay Lai Hock, Founder and Kampung Chief of Ground-up Initiative and M. Ibnur Rashad,Co-Inventor of iBam and Kampung Scientist of Ground-up Initiative. Talk Title: Community design: Field Practitioners' Guide from Kampung Kampus.
- 6:30pm – Conversation session with evening session speakers.
- 7.15pm – Closing note from Yoko and Joyce.
Participants to leave the venue by 8:00pm
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No. We will have a registration desk and you will be asked to sign in when you arrrive.
When & Where
Yoko Akama (RMIT University) & Joyce Yee (Northumbria University)
Yoko is a Senior Lecturer at RMIT University, Melbourne Australia. She also undertake a leadership role in Design for Social Innovation and Sustainability (DESIS) Lab Melbourne and the Service Design Network Melbourne also. Her interest is in service design and social innovation, and being Japanese, she is also interested in supporting and creating a community of like-minded people in this area in the Asia Pacific region.
Joyce is a Senior Lecturer at Northumbria University, Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom. She is the Operational Manager for the DESIS Lab at Northumbria University and has recently published a book called Design Transitions looking at understanding how design practices are changing. Her research is around understanding design practice in the social innovation sphere and her next book is focused on understanding how organisations are innovating through design.