Actions and Detail Panel
Future Skills Workshop: Advanced Engineering and Aerospace
Tue 23 May 2017, 09:30 – 13:30 BST
Bringing advanced engineering businesses & training providers together to help build a sustainable workforce in the West of England.
The West of England is a highly dynamic centre for the UK and Europe in Advanced Engineering and Aerospace. It is vital for the continuation of this global leadership that a sustainable talent pipeline is developed and supported across our region with the major international companies and throughout the strong local supply chain.
Join us at our Future Skills Workshop to discuss the skills challenges that face today's Advanced Engineering and Aerospace sector and more importantly, be part of developing the solution. We are bringing together a range of partners who want to make a difference in the sector by engaging careers’ activities that will inspire young people, motivating a skilled workforce which is already employed or seeking new opportunities, raising the skills needed across Engineering.
The format of this workshop will include keynote speakers introducing the following key themes to for discussion and exploration towards solutions:
- Inspiring Girls into Engineering - what are the most effective ways of reaching girls early on in their choices? How can we open doors later on, particularly for women returning to work in the sector and into STEM careers?
- Mapping a Clear Career Path for Aspiring Young Engineers – help us to develop a TimeLine and a clear route into a career in Engineering, with which young people will connect as an inspiring pathway.
- Leadership and Management Development for Engineers – looking at building a programme of opportunities for career development; bringing motivation, reward and retention amongst a skilled workforce, responsive specifically to the needs of the sector.
This workshop is your opportunity to:
- feed into the West of England Advanced Engineering & Aerospace future skills plan
- have your say about skills in the sector
- influence and shape training
- network with training providers and other businesses within the sector
The event will build upon the previous work at the West of England Local Enterprise Partnership and will support a collaborative approach to the skills needs of the Advanced Engineering and Aerospace industry. It will be followed up with an Action Plan and a future Skills West Day in July.
The long term aim is to ensure high quality, relevant and cost effective skills provision that meets the needs of employers, towards sustainable growth and productivity.Let’s challenge those outdated perceptions of the industry and showcase the real jobs and careers available to people with the right qualifications – and let’s make those qualifications relevant, accessible and aspirational.
Please note: Places are limited. We may only be able to offer one place per organisation/training provider.
#skillswest #wegrowthhub #developingpeople