Actions and Detail Panel
Future Skills Workshop: High Tech
Wed 3 May 2017, 09:00 – 12:30 BST
Bringing high tech industries & training providers together to help build a stronger workforce in the West of England.
The High Tech sector in the West of England region and in particular Bristol and Bath, is a national success story and now recognised as one of the two globally significant digital tech clusters in the UK. Our ambition to continue to be a world leading digital economy means that business must have access to talent with the right skills to remain competitive, create growth and prepare for a future outside of the EU. Nearly 1 in 4 high tech businesses across the UK report that sourcing skilled talent is now a major business challenge.
Join us at the High Tech Future Skills Event to discuss the region's skills challenges and help plan and develop solutions that address the skills needs of High Tech business in the West of England.
The Future Skills workshops will enable you to:
- feed into the West of England High Tech future skills plan.
- voice your opinion.
- influence and shape training.
- improve recruitment from education.
- find out what support is available from education.
- meet skills providers/businesses in the West of England.
During the event we will also hear from keynote speakers and also explore solutions to three key issues:
- Diversity in high tech – How can we encourage greater diversity in the high tech sector? How can employers open up pathways for returners? – in particular women returning to work in STEM.
- Increasing the take up of high tech apprenticeships – How do we overcome the barriers to apprenticeship take up in high tech? What would help business to see apprenticeships as a valid recruitment pathway? Are the current qualifications right for businesses in the region and if not then what can we do to change it.
- Careers Support – How can we create more work experience opportunities in high tech? Can we make greater awareness of the opportunities and routes available in high tech?
Before the event we will send a short survey for you to respond to. This will allow us to get straight to the challenges and start to work towards solutions.
This workshop and networking event will build upon the previous work at the West of England Local Enterprise Partnership and will support a collaborative approach to the skills needs of the professional services industry. It will be followed up with an action plan and a future Skills West Day in July.
The long term aim is to ensure high quality, relevant and cost effective skills provision that meets the needs of employers.
Please note: Places are limited. We may only be able to offer one place per organisation/training provider.