Actions and Detail Panel
Garden Cities Conference
Thu 6 April 2017, 09:00 – 13:00 BST
With the Government announcing that new garden towns and villages will provide 200,000 homes to ease housing shortages come and hear about the opportunities and challenges this will bring.
Speakers have been invited from national, regional and local government together with experts from within private and public developers to outline the latest state of play as they see it. With Taunton as one of only three proposed new Garden Cities and Culm in Devon and West Carclaze in Cornwall as two of only fourteen new Garden Villages, the South West of England is set to play a major part in this latest Government initiative to alleviate the current housing shortage crisis. The Government's housing pledge is:
- Build 200,000 "decent, well built homes with gardens" by 2020, sold at 20% discount to first time buyers under 40.
- Discounts will be offered on these "starter homes", which will be capped at £450,000 in the capital and £250,000 outside.
- Buyers will be prevented from selling them for 5 years.
- Change planning rules to remove requirement for low cost affordable rent.
- Allow housing association tenants the "right to buy" their homes
Speakers (others to be confirmed)
Keynote Speaker – Rebecca Pow MP (invited)
South West overview – Ian Collinson Homes England (previously HCA)
A view for the LEP – Chris Garcia HotSW LEP (invited)
Taunton Garden Town – Tim Burton & Kate Murdoch Taunton & Deane BC
Culm & Carclaze Garden Villages – Tim Jones Devon & Cornwall Business Council
A view from a modular homes provider – Craig Liddell Legal & General Homes
Garden Cities, a potted history – Thomas Hoepfner Garden Cities Alliance
Design is the key - David Birbeck Design for Homes
Who should attend: Anybody from within the property and construction sector who has an interest in the opportunities and challenges the development of a new Garden town will bring.
Cost: CESW National, Regional and Somerset Club Members £30 plus VAT. All others £60 plus VAT.