THIS IS AN ONS EVENT ONLY
To give participants an introduction to geographic/spatial analysis in the context of Official Statistics, focussing on location to gain a deeper understanding of data.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- understand what is ‘special’ about spatial data
- understand some necessary spatial statistical concepts
- be able to apply a selection of spatial statistical techniques and interpret the outputs
- to be able to confidently identify, analyse and interpret spatial patterns in data
- gain hands-on experience working with software designed for spatial analysis
Duration: 1 day
Prerequisites: Level 2 :A degree in mathematics or statistics. Most important is an interest in geographical data and spatial patterns; you need an awareness too of basic mapping techniques and an understanding of core statistical concepts (e.g. correlation, regression, measures of central tendancy, standard deviation, statistical significance) to allow interretation of both source/sample data and computed results.