Actions and Detail Panel
Getting started with early algebra
Wed 1 March 2017, 16:00 – 18:00 GMT
Who is this aimed at?
Primary mathematics coordinators and Year 1 teachers concerned to develop fluency in moving between representations of mathematical ideas. Participants will learn how to introduce algebra to teach all four arithmetic operations and fractions as operators in Year 1, as required in the National Curriculum.
What will be involved?
• A clear explanation as to how we are integrating Gattegno’s approach to algebra in the classroom.
• A demonstration of how learners develop deep conceptual understanding and develop mastery in Gattegno’s approach.
• Practical exercises to model addition, subtraction, multiplication and fractions as operators in Year 1.
• We will share some of the work completed by the children and illustrate how Gattegno’s ‘Numbers in Colour’ textbooks have inspired our lessons and invigorated our approach to teaching across the school.
About the Facilitators
• Jenny Cane is KS1 lead for mathematics at Bursted Wood. Articles on her work can be downloaded from http://tizard.stanford.edu/users/jennymcane
• Dr Ian Benson facilitates the Tizard network of schools re-evaluating the Cuisenaire-Gattegno approach. A 3 min video can be viewed at http://vimeo.com/90483097 (password: maths