Girl Geek Tea Party #65: Wikipedia edit day
Saturday 19th November, 10.30am-4pm, Longsight Library, Stockport Road
PLEASE NOTE: This event is on a Saturday
Please note this event is Saturday, not Sunday
Practically everyone uses the free encyclopaedia to find out about the world – but have you ever tried adding to it?
Women are sorely under-represented in editing and contributing to Wikipedia articles, and we aim to shift the balance.
Helpers from Wikimedia UK and Manchester Girl Geeks will be on hand to help you learn and develop editing skills.
There will be support on hand for beginners and for those who already have some editing experience.
The morning session will be aimed at beginners and will focus the basics. After lunch the session will be focused on actually editing articles and so if you’ve done editing before, you may just want to come to this session.
Feel free to bring along your favourite sources and add to the body of knowledge together. As we’ll be at Longsight Library, we’ll be able to use the resources there to help bolster our editing. Longsight Library has both disabled access and a disabled parking space.
The library is on the 192 bus line. There is a stop on Piccadilly by the Spar (Stop EP), and then it’s about 10 minutes to Stockport Rd/Longsight Shopping Ctr (Stop B), which is just outside the library.
The day runs from 10am-4pm. Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
- The timetable of the day will be as follows
- 10am – 1pm: Beginners session
- 1pm – 2pm: Lunch*
- 2pm – 4pm: Advanced/editing session
*The library is closed between 1pm and 2pm so we’ll have to leave the building. We’ll be splitting up into various groups for lunch. The lunch options are around a 5 minute walk away from the library:
- Sanam Sweethouse (indian cuisine)
- Mak’s (Cafe with sandwiches/wraps, baked potatoes, pizza, etc)
You can come with us to either of these or you can choose to buy your own lunch and just grab a free ticket.
What to bring:
- A laptop / computer, on which to edit; if you don’t have one you can bring, please get in touch beforehand and we can sort something out.
- Reference materials on topics you’d like to write about, such as books, papers or journals (optional).