Actions and Detail Panel
Ghost hunt at Armley Mills
Sat, 8 Apr 2017, 20:30 – Sun, 9 Apr 2017, 13:30 BST
Armley Mills in Leeds has a reputation dating back many years for unexplained happenings and being known as extremely haunted. on previous overnight ghost hunts here we have witnessed the slamming of doors, heavy footsteps are heard to approach when nobody is physically walking , Many guests have witnessed a dark shadow of what appears to be a gentleman dressed in old Victorian clothing. In the older parts of the mill, many people claim to smell burning and old tobacco smoke. This location is an extremely active location for poltergeist activity. Many guests refuse to go to toilets here in the mill alone. Once the largest woollen mill in the world, these vast mills at Armley once employed children as young as Seven in cruel harsh conditions at the height of the cotton boom, these young children are thought to tug on clothing, touch you and throw items in an attempt to gain attention.
The earliest record of Armley Mills dates from the middle of the sixteenth century when local clothier Richard Booth leased 'Armley Millnes' from Henry Saville. A document of 1707 describes them as fulling mills. One contained two wheels and four fulling stocks, while another was used to grind corn mill and two fulling stocks'. The mills expanded and by 1788 were equipped with five waterwheels driving eighteen fulling stocks. Fulling was a necessary but dirty process where woven wool is felted. The bundles of cloth are hit repeatedly by large hammers, the fulling stocks, while soaked in water, urine and a clay known as Fuller's earth. The urine which is a source of ammonia was collected from neighbouring houses, who specially saved it for the purpose.
The mills were sold in 1788, ten years after the new canal opened. It was bought by Colonel Thomas Lloyd, a Leeds cloth merchant who expanded it to be the world's largest woollen mill, he leased the running of the mills to Israel and John Burrows, They built demi-detached house for themselves on the far bank of the canal.
In 1804 to 1805 the mills were sold to Benjamin Gott- but burnt down. The early mills were fire hazards, the fibres in the air igniting and setting fire to the flammable structure. Gott rebuilt the mill using fireproof principles: the mill structure survives and it is this structure that has achieved a grade II listing. Gott was the owner of several woollen mills. He died in 1840 and was succeeded by his sons John Gott and William Gott. They introduced a steam engine to supplement the water wheels in 1850 but it was in the 1860s that the waterwheels were phased out.
By 1907 part of mill had been let out to tenants in a room and power agreement. The woollen clothing manufacturers Bentley and Tempest took over the mill. The mill closed in 1971, a victim to the changing technology, loss of market and the prevailing economic conditions. It was sold to Leeds City Council who re-opened it as a museum of industry in 1982.