Unavailable

Ghost Hunt At The Haunted Slough Fort (Allhallows)

Event Information

Share this event

Date and Time

Location

Location

Slough Fort

Allhallows

ME3 9QF

United Kingdom

View Map

Refund Policy

Refund Policy

No Refunds

Event description

Description

Are you brave enough to join Ghost Hunter Tours on a full blown ghost hunt at one of the countries reported most haunted forts?. We will take you on an investigation of this very dark and scarey location and we will attempt to make contact with the spirits that reside within its tunnel network !!! The event runs from 730 - 1 am on 20/10/18 and it is for over 18's only !

PLACES ARE VERY LIMITED ON THIS EVENT - THIS LOCATION HAS NOT BEEN INVESTIGATED FOR A LONG TIME !!!

If you would like to book over the phone - call us on 07724364333 or check our website www.ghost-hunters.me.uk

Slough Fort was initially armed with seven 7-inch rifled breech loaders (RBLs) positioned in the casemates. It was manned by three officers, one NCO and 75 other ranks. Between October 1889 and December 1891, a pair of wing batteries were constructed from concrete on either side of the fort, with a range finder position being added to the fort's roof. The new batteries accommodated two 9.2-inch and two 6-inch breech loaders on disappearing mountings, allowing them to recess below ground level once they had fired. These were much more powerful and longer ranged weapons than the old RBLs and were capable of engaging a battleship at a substantial distance. The old RBLs were removed

The structure of the fort underwent substantial changes around this time. The casemates, which were now vulnerable to the more powerful artillery that had been developed since they were built, were covered almost up to roof level by an earthen glacis. Their interiors were also partly infilled with rubble, as was the defensive ditch in front of the casemates, providing additional protection against enemy fire as it helped to camouflage the structure. Two light quick-firing guns with ammunition lockers were installed on the fort's roof to guard against small, fast-moving threats such as torpedo boats. The rest of the fort remained intact but was now used as a barracks for the wing batteries. Three of the truncated casemates were converted into married quarters, one became officers' quarters and the final three were used by the men. An additional set of detached quarters for a Warrant Officer and a small detachment of Royal Engineers was constructed to the south-east of the fort, along with barrack stores

Two new 9.2-inch guns were installed in 1906 in the western wing battery. They were mounted on barbettes, enabling them to recoil along their axis and so delivering a much faster rate of fire. One 9.2-inch and one 6-inch gun on a disappearing mounting remained in the eastern wing battery before being removed in 1907. During the war the fort was used as a Battery Command Post operating in conjunction with a Port War Signal Station located to the fort's east, which was responsible for monitoring all shipping entering or leaving the Thames.The remaining two 9.2-inch guns were removed in 1917 and reinstalled at Fletcher Battery, a newly built position on the Isle of Sheppey.

The Army discontinued the use of the fort in 1920 and in 1929 it was sold off and converted into a small zoo It saw one further period of military usage during and immediately before the Second World War; it was used as an observation post from 1938, became part of the local anti-invasion system in 1939–40 and was used as part of the air defence network against V-1 flying bombs in 1944.After the war it belonged to the Allhallows Estate Company before passing to Strood Rural District Council. Plans were advanced to demolish it but the cost proved prohibitive. It was instead converted into a riding stables in the early 1960s

Share with friends

Date and Time

Location

Slough Fort

Allhallows

ME3 9QF

United Kingdom

View Map

Refund Policy

No Refunds

Save This Event

Event Saved