£38.53

Ghost Hunt At The Very Haunted Newhaven Fort

Event Information

Share this event

Date and Time

Location

Location

Newhaven fort

Fort Road

Newhaven

BN9 9BY

United Kingdom

View Map

Refund Policy

Refund Policy

No Refunds

Event description

Description

Ghost Hunter Tours Head to the very eerie Newhaven Fort on Saturday 7th April 2018 to investigate this very sinister and dark location!! Are you brave enough to join the GHT team on the night as we conduct experiments to contact whatever or who ever resides within the tunnel networks!!

There are numerous reports from visitors to the Fort, when walking into the main tunnels, of being pushed, seeing dark figures slipping into the shadows and multiple orbs have been caught on the security cameras and monitoring systems, other reports include sounds and smells, people have reported the noises of chains clinking. Some believe it is the ghost of a woman called Martha who committed suicide at the fort. Other occurrences happen in the magazines and laboratory.

Newhaven Fort is the last of a long series of defences built on the cliffs overlooking Seaford Bay, dating back to the Iron Age. Back then, the River Ouse flowed into the sea at Seaford, but over the years the river silted up and in 1539 a new cut was made for the river to come out at the fishing village of Meeching. This became known as the ‘New Haven’. The first gun was sent to Newhaven in 1548 following a raid on Seaford by the French. Over the next three hundred years the gun defences were updated, especially at times of crisis such as the Spanish Armada and the Napoleonic Wars. All too often, however, the defences fell into disrepair. There were times when the gunners were not paid and took to fishing and farming to earn a living.

In 1759 the first permanent gun battery was built. And in 1855, following a visit from the Duke of Wellington, more guns were installed and a new battery was built. This was at a time when the harbour was being extended, the railway had arrived, there was a new steamer service to France and the town and harbour were taking on greater national significance. Newhaven was on the up!

By the late 1850s Napoleon the Third, nephew of Bonaparte, was building up his navy and strengthening his coastal defences, causing the British government, under Prime Minister Lord Palmerston, to perceive a threat invasion by the French. In response, a massive programme of defence was started. Newhaven Fort was one of seventy-two coastal forts to be built, at a total cost of twelve million pounds.

Designed by twenty two year old Lieutenant John Charles Ardagh of the Royal Engineers, construction of Newhaven Fort was started in 1862 and took ten years and six million bricks to complete. There were several novel design features; the first mass use of concrete in a military fortification, a new type of drawbridge and the fact that it was built into the contours of the land, rather than being built above ground like a traditional fort or castle.

At the end of the 19th Century the Fort needed updating and was practically rebuilt. New modern guns were installed and amongst other things, baths were installed for the soldiers. No more excuses! When the First World War broke out the harbour assumed even greater importance, shipping six million tons of supplies to France and the Fort became part of a larger network of defences that included gunboats, thousands of soldiers and a seaplane base in Seaford Bay.

When war broke out again in 1939, Newhaven Fort was a vital element in the defence against the very real threat of German invasion. A coastal radar site was built just outside of the Fort, linked to a large underground naval communication centre nearby. In the harbour were gunboats, minesweepers, and boats of the RAF Air Sea Rescue. It was the latter who used part of the Fort as a rest area and painted murals on the walls of the Counterscarp galleries to remind them of warmer climes. Thousands of soldiers were stationed in the area, including many Canadians who took part in the ill-fated Dieppe Raid from Newhaven. Troops also set out here for the Normandy landings of 1944.

A new gun battery was built on Castle Hill in 1943 and these guns replaced those in the Fort. Post war, the last unit to be stationed here were the Ukrainians of a Battle Area Clearance Unit, tasked with the removal of mines and unexploded ordnance from beaches and the surrounding areas. When Coastal Artillery was disbanded in 1956 all the guns at Newhaven were taken away and scrapped.

Share with friends

Date and Time

Location

Newhaven fort

Fort Road

Newhaven

BN9 9BY

United Kingdom

View Map

Refund Policy

No Refunds

Save This Event

Event Saved