Actions and Detail Panel
Global Health and School Medicine (MOSA Summer Meeting June 2017)
Sat 10 June 2017, 09:00 – 17:00 BST
As there are now so many international pupils in UK independent schools, and increasing numbers of school trips are to worldwide destinations, we are organising a day themed around “Global Health and School Medicine”
Topics to be covered in this study day will include:
- Rashes from School Trips, Dr Sandy Flann. Consultant Dermatologist, West Kent Dermatology.
- Is this pupil Fit to Fly? Professor David Gradwell, Professor of Aerospace Medicine, Centre of Human & Aerospace Physiological Sciences, King's College London.
- Global Infectious Diseases and our pupils. Professor David Heymann, Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
- FGM; Could it happen to pupils in UK Independent schools? Dr Phoebe Abe General Practitioner, London.
- Global Issues in Adolescent Mental HealthDr Jacqueline Phillips-OwenConsultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.
- Risk assessing for School Trips
After the meeting (at 5pm) there will be an optional early evening event, at extra cost, to which accompanying persons would be very welcome. We are lucky enough to be offered a Private Tour of Ightham Mote followed by a Buffet Dinner in the Mote Cafe. Ightham Mote is a charming and perfectly preserved 14th Century moated Manor House owned by the National Trust, and described by David Starkey as “one of the most beautiful and interesting of English Country Houses”.