REHIS (Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland) / Cyrenians Good Food Good Health course. This is a ‘train the trainer’ course to train staff, and/or volunteers, (‘the trainees’) to deliver cooking classes safely and successfully within your organisation.
What are the benefits?
The course focuses on developing practical food and nutrition skills to promote independent living skills and a sustainable healthy eating / cooking programme to be implemented within your organisation.
Trainees on the course gain an understanding in:
- basic nutrition
- the barriers to healthy eating and how to overcome them
- meal planning and food budgeting, incorporating leftovers and substituting alternative ingredients
- facilitating a group cooking class to develop the skills, knowledge and confidence to deliver practical cooking classes themselves.
What does it involve?
The course is delivered over two days in a training room involving practical and discussion based activities followed by a set of six practical cooking classes in a kitchen (one day a week x 2 ½ hour class) to develop confidence and hands-on experience.
Over the six weeks we support you every step of the way, provide all the ingredients and work with you to consider how best to deliver sessions around your clients’ needs, whilst also gaining the practical experience and confidence to lead classes in the future. The added benefit is that it is your clients who participate in the first six weeks of cooking classes, each participant making their own two dishes from scratch each week.
Any qualification requirements?
Please note a pre-requisite of taking part on the Good Food Good Health course is for the trainees (not the participants of the cooking sessions) to hold a REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene certificate. We provide this training too if you need it.
When is the next course?
The next Edinburgh based Good Food Good Health course will take place on 1st and 2nd November and the cooking classes will start the following week on a day that fits around your schedule.
Who should enroll?
We strongly recommend 2 members of staff / volunteers enroll on the course at the same time to ensure a successful and sustainable delivery in the future.
The cost for the complete course for 2 trainees (which includes the 2 day training + course pack + 6 weeks of cooking classes + all ingredients + all travel = £950. Reduced rates for group booking of 6 or more trainees.
Funding may be available through Community Food and Health http://www.communityfoodandhealth.org.uk/funding/cfhs-funding-opportunities/
What others say about the training?
Quote from a manager
- ‘The staff member found the course very enjoyable and informative. She came back very enthusiastic, and with the necessary skills and resources to take the cooking classes forward with service users in the service. Her feedback to the team encouraged other team members to ask whether it was possible for them to do the training’
Quotes from trainees
- ‘I have watched the guys learn, grow in aptitude, skill, confidence and indeed in a social aspect enthusiasm has grown each week. Multiple benefit’
- ‘Excellent course, very glad to be offered a place. Helpful for me as an individual and my clients’
Quote from a participant
- ‘Course tuition and whole atmosphere was superb. We were made to feel like human beings and not just numbers’
Quote from Professional Adviser-Nutrition Care Inspectorate
- ‘I was really impressed with this course, there were very clear learning outcomes that were evaluated at the end of the course. This is such an improvement as often service's say to me that their staff have had nutrition training but do not know what they are meant to have learned or are very vague about it. I think this course helps ensure staff are appropriately trained in cooking and nutrition and most importantly improves outcomes for service users in more than just cooking’.
By filling in this registration form you are only registering your interest in the course. One of our tutors will be in touch with you following registration to discuss or confirm your booking.
Due to additional funding available Cyrenians is offering Community Food Members a 50% discount on the November course. For more information register here or email ChrisStevenson@cyrenians.scot or call us on 0131 554 3900.