Actions and Detail Panel
Good governance: Effective trustee boards
Thu 11 May 2017, 09:00 – 17:00 BST
Who's this course for?
This course is aimed at directors/chief executives who are responsible for managing a board of trustees. It is also suitable for members of a board of trustees to attend.
Governance is the Board’s responsibility. It is about:
- Ensuring the organisation has a clear mission and strategy NOT developing it
- Ensuring the charity is well managed NOT managing it
- Giving guidance on the overall allocation of resources NOT precise numbers
- Taking responsibility for the organisation’s performance NOT performance management
- Ultimately, providing Insight, Wisdom and Good Judgment
- Direction of the organisation
- Legal responsibilities
Leadership within a framework of controls:
- Controls Assurance
- Quality of services to beneficiaries
- Safety of beneficiaries
- Financial management
- Risk management
- Strategic Planning
- Setting objectives
- Monitoring Progress
Standards, organisational values and obligations
- Codes of conduct
The role of the Chair
- Leadership, communication, arranging information to and evaluation of the Board
John Teller is a former CEO in the voluntary sector and has served on boards in the voluntary and public sectors. John is also a Community Mentor for Voscur and provides training on board development. John has a Certificate of Training in Social Work; Teaching Qualification; MSc in Policy Studies; Institute of Directors Course in Management Direction.
Please note: If there is insufficient bookings (enough to cover trainer costs) before the 11th April 2017, this course may be cancelled and a full refund will be given.
Ticket priority will be given to members who paid a membership fee to join SWIDN.