A one day cancer update course by GPs for GPs and GP STs
GP Update has joined forces with Macmillan Cancer Support to provide this course to give all
GPs the knowledge and inspiration they need to prevent, screen and diagnose cancer.
We’ll give an overview of how the NICE guidance has changed
with touch points throughout the day on the different cancer
areas we are covering. Whilst there won’t be time to cover all 400
pages of the guidance, we’ll do what we do best and give our
steer as to how the guidance should be used. We’ll also cover:
• Is cancer really all due to chance?
• What lifestyle changes REALLY make a difference?
• What is a ‘teachable moment’ and how can I identify them?
• Is aspirin a miracle drug?
• How do current programmes work and what are the controversies?
• Why does the UK lag behind and what can we do?
• How will the new 2ww guidelines help us detect cancers earlier?
• How can I maximise the effectiveness of safety netting?
• How to spot ‘Easily missed cancers’
• When does family history matter?
• What are the common long term side effects of common
treatments and how might these present in survivors?
• Should I advise cancer patients to rest or take exercise?
• How can I make the cancer care review work to meet patients’
• Recognising and treating oncology emergencies.
• Prescribing common medication – how should we use
opiates and does oxygen really help?
• How can we ensure that palliative care is delivered really well
in our practice?
Registration 09:30- 09:55 for a prompt 10:00 start
Please email Jo Rochester firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any problems or need to cancel your place
Tean and coffee are provided in the morning and afternoon breaks but lunch is NOT provided- there are a plethora of shops/ Cafe's nearby where you can purchase refreshments or please bring your own.