San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
On International Women's Day Live At All Hallows are pleased to host two of the UK's rising female musicians: Grace Petrie and Jasmine Kennedy.
Grace has been on the LAAH wish list since her Greenbelt 2011 performances, and a chance meeting in the bar queue at Union Chapel has come to fruition for us in 2013. A young troubadour and protest singer, voice of the Occupy generation, she brings her passionate, politically aware songs to All Hallows.
Hailed as the voice of a new generation by listeners and critics alike, Leicester's Grace Petrie exploded onto the national music scene in 2010, when protest legend Billy Bragg heard her music and invited her to share his Leftfield stage at Glastonbury. In Bragg's own words, her performance "stole the f#c!ing show, sister!", and a new protest star was born.
Combining witty observations of everyday life with effortlessly beautiful melodies, Grace's brand of new folk punk has earned her a nationwide reputation as one of the most exciting songwriters working in the UK today, as well as slots on BBC Radio 4, 6Music and Channel 4's Random Acts. Counting among her fan base the likes of comedian Robin Ince, singer and activist Tom Robinson and music journalist Dorian Lynksey, Grace's UK tours with Josie Long and Emmy the Great have cemented her in the national consciousness as a bright star of the new folk movement.
"A powerful new songwriting voice" - The Guardian
Supporting Grace is local lass Jasmine Kennedy, who sings from the heart and has a most soulful voice that is often compared with Tracy Chapman's. This 20-year-old from Batley has immense talent and an endearing charm. After an exciting 2012 including playing at SXSW, learning to screen print and adding pillowcases to her merchandise range, and travelling widely both with and without her trusty steed Patch, Jasmine is the first artist to be invited to cover a song for Love Arts Leeds' Love Music project.... LAAH have had a sneak peak and love the cover!
“When I heard Jasmine Kennedy for the first time it was one of those rare moments where everything had to stop while I listened. There is a simple honesty about the voice and the songs. I am not often struck by a quality I cannot readily describe.” - Sam Saunders, LMS.
Tickets £5.50 advance, £7 on the door
Grace (Photos courtesy Tim Morris http://www.flickr.com/photos/refusejesus/)
When & Where
LIVE AT ALL HALLOWS
We are a bunch of friends who run gigs together in a friendly, acoustically wonderful open & diverse church in Hyde Park Leeds. We like music and musicians and wanted to hear even more live. Come and join us?
We tweet at @liveatallhallow
Facebook page www.facebook.com/allhallows.gigs
Spotify playlist at http://open.spotify.com/user/stevethack/playlist/78jsQHUrIS8Cf2IrVyd2ON
Email us at: liveatallhallows (at) gmail (dot) com
Note that eventbrite is an electronic ticketing service: you WILL NOT BE SENT A PAPER TICKET in the post. You will receive an email with a pdf ticket attached; in order to reduce paper waste we'd encourage you to use the eventbrite app or bring the confirmation email on a smart phone, or alternatively bring your order number and the name in which the tickets were purchased. Thanks..
Ticket Terms and Conditions for Live At All Hallows:
- Right of admission reserved.
- We reserve the right to refuse admission, or eject from the venue, any person who disrupts the event in any way.
- No alcoholic drinks may be brought into the venue.
- No illegal substances may be brought into the venue. Anyone caught in possession of these substances will be ejected and the police will be called.
- In the event of cancellation, only the face value of the ticket will be refunded.
- Tickets cannot be exchanged, refunded or returned unless the event is cancelled, moved to another date, or if details of the event are significantly changed after a ticket is purchased (significant changes being a change of headline act or venue).
- Tickets may be transferred to another name with the agreement of the promoter. Contact us via Eventbrite.
- No professional type audio-visual recording equipment maybe brought into the venue without authorisation.
- Ticket holders agree to appear for no fee in any filming or recording of the event attended.
- The venue will not be held responsible for any loss or damage of personal belongings.
- No electronic cigarettes or similar allowed in the venue.