San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
This event will highlight the cutting-edge advanced manufacturing happening at the Manufacturing Technologies Centre and its potential business applications, and how the Advanced Manufacturing Training Centre will help alleviate the skills gap and contribute to the next generation of UK manufacturing.
The APMG hopes to raise the profile of manufacturing among parliamentarians and the public, and to emphasize the importance of cross-party support for the HVM Catapult and other such support programmes. APMG Co-Chair Chris White MP will also highlight the recommendations from the ‘Making Good’ report, and discuss progress on the current challenges facing UK manufacturing.
*A morning session on Advanced Automation and Robotics (9:00 – 13:00) will also take place in collaboration with the Midlands Manufacturing Network and the IET Manufacturing Technical Professional Network.
In-depth discussions are to be held regarding advanced manufacturing, additive manufacturing, and the important role of manufacturing industry, with the Manufacturing Advisory Service and others on hand to answer questions.*
*9:00 Welcome speech by Clive Hickman, Chief Executive of MTC (with opportunity for questions) TBC
9:30 Advanced manufacturing with Jeremy Hadall, Chief Technologist – Automation, MTC
10:30 Additive manufacture with Dr David Wimpenny, Chief Technologist – Component Technology, MTC
11:30 The Important Role of Manufacturing Industry with John Garside
12:15 Lunch and an opportunity to review exhibition stands (MAS, additional stands TBC)
1:00 Arrival of guests, welcome reception
1:30 Visit to MTC workshop and Training Centre construction site
2:30 Presentation by Clive Hickman, on wider HVM Catapult activities
2:50 Introduction of APMG by Barry Sheerman MP
3:05 Brief of ‘Making Good’ inquiry and recommendations, and Q&A by Chris White MP
3:30 Panel discussion and Q&A on progress of addressing current challenges facing the manufacturing sector, Chaired by Clive Hickman
- Chris White MP, APMG and ‘Making Good’ Co-Chair
- David Atkinson, Head of Manufacturing, Lloyds Banking Group
- Rob Pope, Managing Director, TTL
- Alan Norbury, Applications Manager and Catapult Centre Liaison, Siemens
- Dr. Axel Bindel, Research Manager, HSSMI
4:15 Networking reception
5:00 Event ends
Proposed discussion points:
1. What are the main challenges facing UK manufacturing, and how do they compare internationally?
2. Is the aim of increasing manufacturing to 20% of GDP realistic/worthwhile?
3. What elements of a long-term fiscal framework would be most beneficial for the sector?
4. How should the government approach different-sized businesses and industries? Should it be ‘picking winners’?
5. What else should government be doing to increase the competitiveness of UK manufacturing?
6. What are the best components of the current industrial strategy? What is missing?
When & Where
All-Party Parliamentary Manufacturing Group
The All-Party Parliamentary Manufacturing Group is a cross-party coalition of Parliamentarians and manufacturing industry organisations that works to develop new industrial policy ideas, critique existing government decision-making around manufacturing, communicate within Parliament the importance of a well-balanced productive economy, and help the manufacturing community better engage with the policy process.