Harmful Sexual Behaviour - Changing the way we see it
Victim research indicates that children and young people displaying harmful sexual behaviour are, themselves, highly likely to be victims. So, is Harmful Sexual Behaviour really that different from Child Sexual Exploitation? What do we know about children's experiences and what are the implications for future interventions?
- Clearer understanding of the crossover between victimhood and offending
- Understanding HSB behaviours as possible symptoms of developmental impairment
- Introduction to the Trauma Recovery Model (TRM) and it’s use working with HSB/CSE
- Understand and practice CPR (consistency, predictability and Reliability)
- Employing empathy in practice and matching the young person’s vitality of affect
- Apply TRM thinking to identify a young person’s progress
- Harmful Sexual Behaviour and Child Sexual Exploitation specialists
- Social workers & support staff (child care, YOT, leaving care, fostering, mentors, etc.)
- Residential child care staff
- Foster carers, kinship carers
- YOI, STC or secure children’s home staff
- Victim workers
- Counsellors, therapists, psychologists, etc.
- Anyone with an interest in working with Harmful Sexual Behaviour and Child Sexual Exploitation
More about Jonny Matthew
- MSc - Criminology & Criminal Justice – Cardiff University
- DipCrimCJ – Cardiff University
- B.A.(Hons) – Community Studies – Social Work – UWIC Cardiff
- DipSW – UWIC Cardiff
Jonny is a part time (0.6) Senior Adviser for Casework Innovation for the Wales Youth Justice Board (YJB). He is working to develop, test and evaluate a case management approach for youth offending teams to use with young people with complex and prolific offending histories.
Jonny also works on a freelance basis as a consultant social worker and criminologist. He offers consultancy, training, assessment, inspection, editing and supervision on a private basis, working with local authorities, charities and the private sector.
Jonny also runs a website and blog promoting recovery for troubled young people ( www.JonnyMatthew.com ).
Prior to his current role, Jonny was a YOT officer for 5 years followed by 10 years as an adolescent sexual offending specialist with Barnardo’s. In August 2013, he left his 3-year post as Deputy Manager of Hillside Secure Children’s Home, where he was responsible for the therapy and other interventions, and joined the YJB.
Jonny’s research interests are youth crime, attachment, adoption & fostering, abuse, safeguarding, therapeutic approaches and particularly how skewed development impacts on children’s behaviour.
Feedbackfor Jonny from the NWG 2016 conference
"Great speaker - very engaging knowledgable and interesting"
"Excellent presentation. Points to take away to develop support case studies"
Dietary / Personal Requirements
Should you have any dietary requirements or any personal needs requiring adjustments to be made to the facilities or delivery style of the event, please inform Wendy@nwgnetwork.org as soon as possible? If you prefer to discuss your needs please contact Wendy on 01332 585371 before you attend the course.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
NWG , Innovation House, East Service Road, Raynesway, Derby DE21 7BF Map: https://goo.gl/maps/beMk18hcYV32
The venue is located on the East Service Road just off Raynesway (A5111). (look for a sign " UK Trade and Investment") turn into the Riverside Business Park and follow it to the right and right again into the large car park - you can park anywhere in the car park for free and head for the far left corner where our offices are located) We are easy accessibility to J24 of the M1 and East Midlands Airport via the A50, reached by the A5111 and A6.
The adjacent A52 dual carriageway is one of the city's principle transport routes, connection with J25 of the M1 to the east before passing into the neighbouring city of Nottingham.
It is a 20 minute cycle or a 10 minute taxi ride from the closest train station (Derby) or a 40/50 minute walk along the river!
Please note that unfortunately our offices are not step free
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Should you have any queries or require any further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the refund policy?
Once a place is secured you may amend your delegate name without charge. You may cancel your booking up to one calendar month without charge. Any cancellations made within two weeks of the seminar date will incur 50% charge. Any cancellations made within a week of the forum date will be liable for full payment. If we cancel the forum for any reason, we will refund 100% of the fee, but will not be held liable for any travel or accommodation costs incurred. We always endeavour to reschedule a forum as opposed to cancelling it.