Healthwatch training - Better data analysis
Better data analysis for public consultations - 30 CPD credits
This course aims to offer participants a detailed insight into the issues and challenges inherent in the use of data collected by public engagement and consultation engagement exercises and their presentation to decision-makers.
Who is it for?
Ideal for consultation professionals who have a good general understanding of public engagement & consultation or public policy and want to learn or improve techniques and knowledge.
How much does it cost?
It will cost £85+VAT for VCS organisations and £120+VAT for public sector organisations.
- Help to understand the range and variety of data
- To provide participants with the knowledge to be able to make sense of the data and spot common pitfalls
- Fully equip participants with the skills and confidence to analyse and report
Key learning points
- A better understanding of what are the biggest challenges when analysing data from a public engagement exercise
- Participants will have gained the skills necessary to confidently analyse and report
- The tools and techniques for being more efficient and effective in your analysis
Welcome, Introduction and Roundtable
SESSION ONE: The world of public engagement data
- What's different from other kinds of data?
- The range and variety of data
- Too much or too little?
- Relevant legislation and its application
SESSION TWO: Ensuring data quality
- Data is only as good as its collection method
- Quantitative data issues Qualitative data issues
- Data from emerging technology methods, including
- Social Media
- Demographic data issues
SESSION THREE: How credible is the evidence?
- Group exercise
SESSION FOUR: Making sense of the data
- Analysis & interpretation: spot the difference
- Survey data analysis & common pitfalls
- Assessing consultation submissions
- The challenge of unstructured contributions
SESSION FIVE: The use & abuse of consultation data
- Data as feedback
- Data for decision-makers
- Data for the media
SESSION SIX: 'Apples & oranges
- ... or how to produce an integrated analysis from diverse consultation data - a group exercise
SESSION SEVEN: Problems & challenges
- Measuring the 'silent majority'
- The need for Data Standards
- The case for 'independent' analysis & interpretation
- Skills for data-minded consultation staff
Lunch will be provided.
When & Where
23 November - Dolphin Centre, Darlington, DL1 5RP
24 November - Broadacre House, Newcastle, NE1 6HQ
Healthwatch Newcastle is the independent consumer champion for social care and health services in Newcastle upon Tyne.