Healthwatch training - Better focus groups
Thursday, 13 October 2016 from 09:30 to 16:00 (BST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Better focus groups - 30 CPD credits
This is a course where the emphasis is on the use of Focus Groups in public consultation and participation, rather than as a market research methodology. It is not just about organising such events, it also teaches facilitation, using a specially-prepared film of a genuine Focus Group.
So be a fly on the wall - watch and listen to an actual Focus Group and observe the all-important skills of Facilitation/Moderation. Spot the deliberate mistakes!
Every delegate also receives a free copy of Effective Focus Groups – a book in the Institute’s Signposts series, worth £12.00.
Who is it for?
Anyone interested or involved in public engagement & consultation or public policy and wants to learn techniques and broaden their knowledge - fast!
How much does it cost?
It will cost £85+VAT for VCS organisations and £120+VAT for public sector organisations.
- What are Focus Groups & when do we use them?
- Appreciate the role and value of using Focus Groups
- Focus on practical skills and their application
- Identifying and formulating the right questions
Key learning points
- Establishing appropriate aims and objectives
- Assess when and why it is appropriate to use Focus Groups as a method of public engagement
- Moderating Focus Groups
- Practical applications
Welcome, Introduction & Roundtable
- Characteristics of Focus Groups
- When to use Focus Groups + Exercise
- Focus Groups for consultation v. Focus Groups for Market Research
Best practice focus groups
- Scale and scope
- Selecting Participants
- From Issues to Questions
- The Four Question Types, Piloting & Beyond the Talking + Exercise
- Venues, Menus and Schedules
- Recording, Analysis and Reporting
- Coding Exercise
- Make or Buy?
- Main Qualities
- Ground Rules
- Managing the Discussion
- Dealing with Agression, Dominance and Shyness
Fly-on-the-wall film + exercise
Discussion, out-takes and evaluation
Lunch will be provided.
When & Where
Healthwatch Newcastle is the independent consumer champion for social care and health services in Newcastle upon Tyne.