The workshop explains clean code and refactoring techniques on basic level. It starts with a discussion about code quality in general and how one can assess that a given piece of code is of low quality. Subsequently, rules are presented which should be followed by a software engineer to write code of high quality. The remaining part of the workshop is based on practical exercises on refactoring techniques and most popular design patterns selected from the Gang-of-Four (GoF) set.
The expected outcomes for a participant of a workshop are:
- ability to assess quality of source code,
- ability to identify imperfections in source code, name them and argue why they contribute to low quality of an application,
- ability to understand different refactoring techniques and use them in low-quality source code,
- ability to understand context in which a given design pattern should be used and implement it.
The workshop is intended for beginner Java developers who understand Object-Oriented Programming concepts.
- Code quality and its assessment
- How to measure code quality?
- Code Smells
- Improving code quality
- Technical debt
II. Refactoring techniques
- Composing Methods
- Simplifying Method Calls
- Moving Features between Objects
- Organising Data
III. Design Patterns
- Creational Patterns
- Structural Patterns
- Behavioural Patterns
The workshop will run for 8 hours from 9AM until 5PM. There will be a few coffee breaks and one 1-hour lunch break (on your own). The workshop will be conducted in English.
- basic knowledge of Java, Object-Oriented Programming
This is a BYOD (bring your own device) workshop, so remember to bring your own laptop.
Trainer - Tomek Pająk
Tomek has held several roles in IT: Software Engineer, IT Architect and Engineering Team Lead. At the moment he is Software Engineering Manager at Seqr - a mobile payment solution available in 16 countries (USA, UK and most of the Eurozone). He is also a coach at Sages helping companies to improve their businesses through the adoption of Agile/Lean concepts and Java-related technologies. Tomek speaks at international conferences (Agile Cambridge, Agile Lean Europe, Agile Central Europe, Agile By Example, Atmosphere etc.) about Agile, Lean, Lean Startup and DevOps.
Tickets price includes
- Full-day workshop
- Coffee & Tea
- Wi-Fi access
- Workshop attendance certificate
What makes us different?
- Over 4000 participants
- 98% satisfied clients
- 9 years' experience
- Unique offer of over 200 specialised training courses
- Over 100 active coaches and consultants