Learn how to create your own website or blog and make it search engine-friendly at this hands-on masterclass.
Squarespace is one of the simplest platforms you can use to create a beautiful website. Whether you’re a blogger, entrepreneur, photographer or small business owner, this hands-on masterclass will teach you how to build your own website or blog from scratch.
Over the course of the day, you’ll learn how to set up and manage a website, and make it search-engine friendly. You’ll also receive guidance on making your site look stylish and professional, as well as expert advice how to continue developing it after the class.
- An overview of setting up and managing a new website, portfolio or blog on Squarespace
- Adding pages to your website and editing text
- How to style your website with logos, colours and fonts
- The basics of SEO: expert advice on how to make your site search engine-friendly
- Preparing images and creating picture galleries
- Integrating widgets for social media and creating a contact form
- Launching your website online
- Handouts with advice and links to help you create your Squarespace site and continue working on it at home
- Q&A and feedback on work carried out during the class
Please note this course requires an intermediate level of computer literacy – it’s not suitable for absolute beginners. Practical sessions will be carried out on Mac computers in the Guardian’s education centre. The class does not include training in e-commerce or creating online shops.
As you continue building your website after the masterclass, you are entitled to an hour’s complimentary consultancy with Allie, valid for three months.
What to bring
- Ahead of the class you’re strongly encouraged to put some thought into the content and branding of your website – for example, colour preferences, text for different pages, and any images, illustrations or logos you’d like to use.
- You’re also encouraged to bring along a USB stick including some text and images to use when building web pages during the class – although this is not essential.
Allie Astell is a web and online marketing consultant and an approved Squarespace specialist, who has been building Squarespace websites since 2009. She runs the successful web agency Manage My Website, and has many years of experience training people in website design and online marketing.
Save This Event
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.