Discover how to create a stylish WordPress site for your blog or business at this hands-on workshop.
Learn the skills needed to create and manage a great WordPress website – all in the space of a day. During this hands-on masterclass with our expert tutor Jamie Marsland, you’ll learn how to get a new site up and running, and make it look stylish and professional.
Over the course of the day, you’ll also receive advice on how to increase web traffic and make money from your site. Whether you want to showcase your blog, portfolio or business, you’ll leave with the foundations of a beautiful website, and the skills to continue building it after the class.
- Introduction to WordPress
- Installing WordPress on your own laptop computer
- Publishing posts and pages
- How to update and manage your content
- Creating a stylish design for your site with WordPress themes
- Improving the functionality of your website with WordPress plugins
- Expert advice on making money from your site
- How to increase web traffic using search engine optimisation (SEO) techniques
- Practical exercises on your laptop, plus detailed handouts and follow-up video tutorial
What to bring
- Please bring along your own PC or Mac laptop and charger, with access to the Internet. No spares will be available on the day – so it’s essential you bring your own computer along
Jamie Marsland is the founder of Pootlepress, a business specialising in WordPress training. Over the past four years, Jamie has trained more than 2,500 people on WordPress, and is passionate about the future of the web. Find Pootlepress on Twitter here.
- "The course covered so much in one day with such great information I felt a world had been opened up to me."
- "I thought he was a fabulous teacher. Nothing was too much trouble and his endless patience encouraged you to try things and ask questions and experiment with how you wanted to use the software."
- "It was a really lively course, with everyone joining in. I thought it was one of the most fun and most informative courses I have ever been on."
Save This Event
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.