An unmissable masterclass with leading literary agent Juliet Mushens, including guest sessions from two of her most exciting authors
If you’re a new writer, the process of getting your book into print might seem a bit daunting. This unique masterclass with leading literary agent Juliet Mushens will demystify the publishing process and reveal what agents look for in fiction submissions.
In the space of three hours, you’ll learn everything from how to prepare the perfect submissions package to how to edit your manuscript and pitch your novel to an agent. On the evening, Juliet will be joined by two of her most exciting authors, Peter Newman, whose works include the popular fantasy novel The Vagrant, and debut novelist Ross Armstrong, whose psychological thriller The Watcher will be published in January next year.
- What is a literary agent – what do they do and why do you need one?
- How to research potential agents and decide who might be the best person to represent you
- What do agents look for in submissions?
- How to write a killer cover letter and synopsis
- Expert advice on editing your manuscript
- Advice on pitching your book to agents – and giving it the best possible change of being accepted
- Discussion of pitches and blurbs for famous books
- Practical session – selected attendees volunteer to read aloud a short blurb for their book, with opportunity for feedback on the evening (see below for more info)
- Q&A with Juliet and her guest speakers
- You’re invited to bring along a short blurb or ‘elevator pitch’ for your book, if you wish to do so. The blurb should be similar in style to the copy on the back cover of books in shops – and no more than one paragraph in length
- Juliet will ask between two and five volunteers to share their blurb with the group, with opportunity for feedback on the evening
Juliet Mushens is a literary agent whose authors range from international bestsellers such as Jessie Burton (The Miniaturist) to James Oswald, as well as social media favourites such as Very British Problems (@SoVeryBritish). Juliet is an agent in the UK literary department of UTA. She was highly commended in the Literary Agent of the Year category by the Bookseller in 2015, having been shortlisted in 2014. She tweets @mushenska.