Actions and Detail Panel
How to get a Just Transition to a low-carbon economy
Tue 13 December 2016, 11:00 – 17:00 GMT
It’s time for a Just Transition in Scotland, moving to a low-carbon economy in ways which protect workers’ livelihoods, create a new industrial base and deliver greater social justice.
This event will create a shared understanding of the challenges and opportunities and act as a springboard for progress.
After reviewing evidence from elsewhere it will consider what should this Just Transition look like? what progress has been made? who can make it happen and how?
Contributors will include:
- Stephen Boyd, STUC
- Matthew Crighton, FOE Scotland
- Jackson Cullinane, UNITE
- Prof Andy Cumbers, Glasgow University
- Stephen Devlin, New Economics Foundation
- Cheryl Gedling, PCS
- Mika Minio-Palluelo, Platform London
- Philip Pearson, ex-TUC climate change adviser/Greener Jobs Alliance
- Julian Schwarzkopf, E3G (international environment think tank)
- Molly Walsh, Friends of the Earth Europe (invited)
Topics on the agenda will include:
- experiences so far, here and in other countries
- the need for strategy, consensus and political will
- a sectoral approach and a systems approach
- a new kind of industrial policy – the powers to make change
- ensuring Transition is Just
- moving forwards: partnerships and participation