Actions and Detail Panel
HOW TO HAVE SAFE “OFF THE RECORD” CONVERSATIONS WITH YOUR STAFF
Mon 24 April 2017, 14:30 – 17:05 BST
There are situations where an employer will want to terminate an employee’s employment without having to follow due process. A pre-termination discussion (often referred to as a “protected conversation”) provides the mechanism for doing this. But get it wrong and what was said in the discussion could be referred to in a subsequent employment tribunal claim!
Turbervilles Solicitors will be presenting a practical interactive seminar on conducting workplace discussions relating to the termination of an employee’s employment without having to follow a formal process. There will be two workplace role-played scenarios and Marc Jones will be conducting a Q&A session after each scenario.
This seminar will provide you with the tools to conduct and/or advise on holding pre-termination discussions.
Key issues to be addressed:
- How should a pre-termination discussion be planned
- How do you start the discussion?
- What can you say during the discussion?
- What can’t you say during the discussion?
- What should be set out in writing after the discussion?
- What is the legal status of the discussion?