- What makes a good picture?
- How to identify and refine your personal style as a photographer
- Technical training to help you master the manual functions of your digital SLR camera
- Practical workshops with feedback on images taken during the class, giving advice on how you can progress as a photographer
- Post-production: a live demonstration of how photographs can be edited, and prepared for publication or display
- Plenty of opportunities for Q&A in a supportive group environment
- Talk to Andy and Kevin individually about career development or selling your photographic work
Please note this course is not designed for novice photographers – all attendees should have their own digital SLR camera and be comfortable using it.
What to bring
- You should bring along your own fully charged digital SLR camera and charger.
Andy Earl is a professional photographer whose work includes a portrait session with Prince Charles, an award-winning video for the Rolling Stones, two stamps and three published books. He’s also created album sleeves for Pink Floyd, Madonna, Robbie Williams and Johnny Cash, among others. Andy is a visiting professor of photography at Norwich University and has been a leading professional for many years.
Kevin Rushby is Guardian Travel's "Explorer" and a contributor to the Saturday Review. He’s the author of four acclaimed travel books, including Hunting Pirate Heaven, an investigation of 17th century pirate utopias in the Indian Ocean. His most recent book is Paradise, a historical account of humans searching for perfection over the centuries. Find his work for the Guardian here.
Save This Event
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.