San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
When you get to 30 you sit on the "axis" of your life. Are you defined by your past and mirror that in your future, or do you take stock, focus on what you love and get the best out of yourself. If you don't like what you do, why spend 60 hours a week doing that?' - Matthew Powell
We've got a really exciting event with some special guests who have all escaped the city to find work they love in new organisations.
- Matthew Powell spent 8 years as a corporate lawyer before escaping to work at the Wiltshire Wildlife Trust.
- Ted Truscott was an equity research analyst at Merrill Lynch before escaping to work for Qubit, a tech startup.
- Natasha Malpani worked for a hedge fund before escaping to work at Big Society Capital.
- Martin Underwood was a criminal barrister who then completed On Purpose (a social enterprise leadership training program) and is now working in education and technology.
This is your chance to ask them all you've ever wanted to know about how they switched careers.
We'll also be sharing top resources from Escape the City on how to find work you love - books you can read, networks you can join, websites you can visit, and videos you can watch... to help you find meaningful work. Send me your questions (email@example.com) and we can make sure they're covered on the evening.
5 reasons to come...
We'll be asking the panel the following questions:
- What was the biggest challenge about switching careers and how did you overcome it?
- How do you break into a new industry?
- How did people close to you react?
- If someone wants to work for your current organisation, how can they go about doing so?
- Was there a huge salary difference and how did you deal with this?
The focus will be on sharing relevant, insightful, practical tips.
Please join us:
We will be meeting at Adam Street Members Club – on the evening of Wednesday 1st August.
Mathew, Ted, Natasha and Martin will be answering questions from Escape the City before we open it up to the room for a Q&A.
The bar will open at 19.00 and the talk will start at 19.30 and go on for about an hour. Please come early to join us for a drink and a chat.
Who is hosting this evening?
This evening run by Adele Barlow (Community Manager at Escape the City). You can say hi to her on Twitter: @adelebarlow or @escthecity. If you have any questions regarding this evening please email her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This event is kindly hosted by Adam Street Club, who would like to invite all Esc members to check out both their full and evening membership options at the club. Adam Street is hidden in 18th century vaults under the Strand and is a private members’ club aimed at both entrepreneurs and freelancers as a central base for work and play, members can relax, work, hangout, entertain, hide, impress, eat great food and drink excellent wine and cocktails, surrounded by like-minded souls. If you would like to know more about membership, please email Ellie, the Membership Manager, at email@example.com.
"How to make a big career change" is an http://www.escapethecity.org/ production.
You can view all our upcoming events here: http://escapeco.eventbrite.com/
When & Where
Escape the City - The Escape School
Escape the City is a global community of +250,000 talented professionals who believe that life is too short to do work that doesn't matter.
We help talented professionals escape unfulfilling jobs and transition into more fulfilling work, build careers on their own terms, and start businesses that matter.
Join our Tribe at www.escapethecity.org.