How to use Twitter effectively
Sunday, February 16, 2014 from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM (GMT)
London, United Kingdom
When you only have 140 characters to express yourself, you have to make every one count. Learn how to construct effective tweets with impact and personality at this entertaining one-day masterclass with comedian David Schneider @davidschneider (The Day Today, I'm Alan Partridge) and David Levin, the professional Twitter expert behind high-profile accounts including @BBCTheVoiceUK, @BBCApprentice and @The_Dolphin_Pub, co-founders of That Lot social media agency. They will be joined by analytics and content expert Barney Worfolk-Smith @themightybarnski from Unruly Media, the leading global platform for social video marketing, specialising in getting brand videos watched, tracked and shared across paid, owned and earned media.
Whether you're tweeting for a brand, business or even yourself, you'll learn new ways to connect with your audience and win followers. The course also features social strategy tips from making hashtags work for you to making the most of analytic tools, as well as instruction in advanced Twitter formats such as live-tweeting, and a special session from Twitter UK on best practice for businesses.
This course features techniques for writing memorable, topical tweets and getting them noticed by a wider audience. The topics covered include:
- Overview of what works for brands, companies and individuals
- Your Twitter homepage
- Tone of voice – the essential Twitter tool
- How to tweet – the mechanics of good tweets, retweets and replies
- Writing the perfect tweet – tweeting with impact, humour, personality
- Boosting your popularity – working the hashtags, getting trending, virals
- What not to tweet and the dangers of Twitter
- Advanced Twitter formats: live-tweeting, quizzes, working the hashtags, getting trending, virals
- Improve your social strategy – using Tweetdeck and analytic tools
This course is for you if...
- You want to build your brand or expand business through social media
- You tweet as part of your job – for instance, in PR or marketing – and want to make your tweets and Twitter strategy more effective
- You want to make your personal Twitter account more interesting, entertaining or popular
- You just want to understand what all the fuss is about with Twitter, and whether or not it can do anything for you
David Schneider is best known for his collaborations with the likes of Armando Iannucci and Steve Coogan. Schneider is an actor, writer, director and Twitter obsessive with over 150,000 followers.
David Levin is a professional tweeter responsible for accounts such as @BBCTheVoiceUK, @BBCApprentice as well as numerous brand and company accounts. Together with David Schneider, he now runs That Lot, a company dedicated to helping brands and businesses use social media with impact, humour and personality.
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.