Write your own story from scratch at this highly interactive writers’ workshop with Alba Arikha.
Reckon you could write a great short story? Give it a go at this unique masterclass with critically acclaimed author Alba Arikha. In the space of just one day, you’ll learn how to find your voice, hone your writing skills and construct a compelling storyline. Then, you’ll write your own short story from scratch.
During this highly interactive course, you’ll take part in practical exercises and writing sessions, enabling you to develop your technique and build your confidence. Along the way, you’ll receive guidance on everything from structuring a storyline to developing characters. Plus, you’ll have the opportunity to receive feedback on your work. By the end of the day, you’ll have finished writing a story of at least 500 words in length – and have the skills and confidence to continue your writing journey after the class.
- The key elements of a great short story
- Writing techniques that can be put into practice instantly
- How to find your voice as a writer and use writing prompts to develop your skills
- Creating a storyline from scratch
- Character development
- Choosing the point-of-view that’s right for your story
- Building narrative tension, mood and pace
- Story resolution
- Examples of great short stories – and what makes them work
- Practical writing session – write your own short story during the class (at least 500 words in length)
- Attendees are encouraged to bring in a 500-1,000 word sample of what they’re working on, to be discussed in class.
Alba Arikha is an author whose works include Walking on Ice and Muse. Her memoir Major/Minor was shortlisted for the Spear’s award and selected among the best books of 2012 by The New Yorker. Alba is also a highly experienced creative writing teacher, and has written for various publications including The New Republic and Tatler. Find out more on her website.
Save This Event
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.