Learn how to write appetising food content that people will want to share with award-winning Guardian food writer Felicity Cloake
If you’re the sort of person who spends most of your time sourcing, preparing and dreaming about food, writing is a great way to share your knowledge and passion. Whether you want to spread your love of a particular cuisine, offer nutritional tips, or share your home-cooked recipes with the world, this interactive course will help you get started as a food writer or blogger.
Award-winning Guardian food writer Felicity Cloake will teach you how to write about food to a high standard and pitch your story ideas to editors. You’ll learn the key skills of effective food coverage, including how to write sparkling content and irresistible recipes. You’ll also take part in practical exercises to put your new skills to work, and learn how to use social media to spread the word about your writing, recipes and passion.
- The craft of good writing – structure, rhythm and language
- How to find your style as a food writer
- The nuts and bolts of recipe-writing – from selling the dish to the reader, to writing a foolproof method
- Popular formats and how to use them, including features, interviews, recipes, topical pieces and more
- Career vs hobby – exploring different types of food writing
- Food blogging – how to take the plunge online
- The science of recipe-writing
- The importance of self-editing
- Getting serious – how to pitch ideas to editors
- Practical writing exercises to help you improve your writing technique and style
- Q&A and discussion
Felicity Cloake writes the Guardian’s How to Make the Perfect column, and is the author of three recipe books: Perfect, Perfect Too, and Perfect Host. She’s also a freelance journalist and food columnist for the New Statesman. In 2011, Felicity won the Guild of Food Writers New Media and Food Writer of the Year awards. Read Felicity’s writing for the Guardian here.
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.