Actions and Detail Panel
How to write better copy
Mon, December 12, 2016, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM GMT
Learn how to write commercial copy that's engaging, effective and – whisper it – sells more stuff
We can’t legally offer courses in bribery and blackmail, but we can teach you the next best way to get your point across. This interactive masterclass in copywriting isn’t a course in the hard sell, but simply in learning how to make your message clear, concise, memorable, and even entertaining.
Through a range of practical exercises, you’ll learn how to spot relatable stories in a mass of dry facts, as well as how to craft clickable headlines and target a message to a specific audience. Whether you want to improve the quality of marketing or campaigning materials, or give your website a more professional edge, this fantastic course will help you to create high-quality commercial copy that suits your own needs.
- Making engaging stories out of the driest facts
- Finding hooks for your copy in the news
- Different structures and styles for web copy – including product descriptions, advertising copy, social media, newsletters and press releases
- How to read your audience, and tailor your content to them
- The essential components – headlines, standfirsts, subheads, captions, furniture
- The importance of first and last sentences
- Tone and language – how to establish a readable, memorable style
- When (and when not) to use humour
- The best policy – maintaining the trust of your audience
- Practical exercises with opportunity for feedback on work carried out during the class
Sign up to our newsletter and you’ll be among the first to find out about our latest courses and special offers. You can also follow us on Twitter, and read our latest articles and interviews on our blog.
Eddy Lawrence is a copywriter with over 20 years of writing and editing experience. He has written for and edited publications including The Face, Melody Maker and Jack, and even some that are still going, such as Time Out, NME, Shortlist and the Guardian.