Learn how to write commercial copy that's engaging, effective and – whisper it – sells more stuff.
We can’t legally offer courses in bribery and blackmail, but we can teach you the next best way to get your point across. Experienced copywriter Eddy Lawrence will share his insight into the art of copywriting, including how to make your message clear, concise and even entertaining.
Through a range of practical exercises, you’ll learn how to spot relatable stories in a mass of dry facts, as well as how to target a message to a specific audience and craft clickable headlines.
Whether you want to improve the quality of your marketing or campaigning materials, or write memorable product descriptions, this informative masterclass will help you create high-quality commercial copy.
- How to read your audience and tailor your content
- Knowing your product inside out
- Constructing a three-act narrative
- The importance of first and last sentences
- The essential components: headlines, standfirsts, subheads, captions and furniture
- Tone and language: how to establish a readable, memorable style
- When (and when not) to use humour
- The best policy – maintaining the trust of your audience
- Practical exercises with opportunity for feedback on work carried out during the class
Eddy Lawrence is a copywriter with over 20 years of writing and editing experience. He has written for and edited publications including The Face, Melody Maker and Jack, and even some that are still going, such as Time Out, NME, Shortlist and the Guardian.
Save This Event
When & Where
Welcome to Guardian masterclasses – a unique programme of learning embedded within one of the world's most forward-thinking media organisations.
Masterclasses offer a broad range of short and long courses across a variety of disciplines from creative writing, journalism, photography and design, film and digital media, music and cultural appreciation.
Harnessing the expertise and specialisms within the organisation, our courses are led by first class and award winning guardian professionals whilst also drawing on the skills and expertise of other leading figures at the forefront of the creative and digital industries.
The programme is aimed at anyone interested in personal or professional development whether that be refining your skills, focusing your ambition or simply broadening your mind and gaining inspiration.