Actions and Detail Panel
Human factors masterclass
Thu 8 June 2017, 09:15 – 12:45 BST
There is increasing recognition of the need to embed human factors science into the design of healthcare systems and processes. The Commission on Education and Training for Patient Safety report ‘Improving safety through education and training,’ recommended that the principles of human factors must be embedded into the training of healthcare professionals.
So what do we mean by human factors science? How can we apply human factors methods and principles to create safer healthcare systems? What is the evidence base that applying human factors design principles improves patient safety? How can we enhance the non-technical skills of healthcare teams? How can Leaders for Improvement embed human factors thinking in their own organisations?
Come along and learn what we mean by human factors science and how to apply human factors thinking in practice. Jane Carthey is a human factors expert with twenty years’ experience working at both a national and local level in the NHS in the UK. Her work portfolio includes mentoring healthcare teams to integrate human factors into incident investigation, applying HF methods to re-design healthcare systems and coaching operating theatre teams to improve their non-technical skills (i.e. leadership, teamwork, communication, situational awareness etc..).
Formerly Assistant Director of Patient Safety at the NPSA, Jane has worked as an independent Human Factors and Patient Safety Consultant since 2005 and is co-author of the report, Measurement and Monitoring of Safety (Vincent, Burnett and Carthey, 2013) and author of Taking Further Steps: The How To Guide to Implementing Human Factors in Healthcare (volume 2), (Clinical Human Factors Group, 2013).
The interactive masterclass will use case studies, research findings and examples from Jane’s real-world experience to:
- Help you to understand what is meant by the term human factors science.
- Practice applying HF methods in service improvement work.
- Share what works when trying to spread an understanding of human factors to Boards, middle managers and frontline healthcare teams.
- Signpost you to HF educational resources and tools.
Attending the masterclass will help you learn how to lead human factors implementation in your organisation. And you will do so in a fun, interactive session where sharing strategies and approaches is integral to the learning experience.
Programme and learning objectives
- To understand what is meant by the term human factors science
- To identify how healthcare system design, environmental factors, job, and equipment design influence how healthcare teams perform
- To consider how to implement human factors concepts and approaches in your organisation.