Income Generation Training Module (4 day training)
Thursday, 9 February 2017 at 10:00 - Thursday, 23 March 2017 at 16:30 (GMT)
Ideal for anybody working in the voluntary and community sector (including social enterprises) looking to create a more sustainable income generation strategy for their fundraising activities. This course provides a thorough overview of the essentials of developing a diverse income base.
Over four full-day sessions we will explore theory, practical examples and tools to use as well as codes of good practice using inspiring case studies, peer learning, and practical exercises, enabling you to apply the learning.
We will explore the income spectrum, looking in-depth at each income stream, how to find the best fit for your organisation and how to create a diverse and sustainable income strategy.
By the end of the course, you will be able to produce an aspirational yet achievable fundraising strategy that begins to diversify your income streams.
This course will support participants to develop an understanding of the spectrum of income fundraising opportunities, where their organisation is currently and how to plan for the future.
This is a four day course held over a six week period and you must be able to commit to all four sessions:
Thursday 9th February, Thursday 23rd February, Thursday 9th March and Thursday 23rd March 2017
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for anyone who:
• is involved with voluntary and community sector organisation fundraising
• has attended the Fundraising 'Made Easy' course and would like to explore the issues in more depth
• is looking to start up an organisation
• has attended the Business Planning Training Module and is ready to look at fundraising
Session 1 – How to succeed at generating income – using a holistic approach
• Resource and beneficiary led – not funder led
• Fully cost all your needs
• Demonstrate your outcomes and long-term impact
• Plan 6, 12, or 18 months ahead – not weeks!
• Do not apply a scatter-gun approach – intelligent targeting
• Diversify your income – do not put all your eggs into one basket
Session 2 – Exploring voluntary income – donations and grants
• Asking people and funders – articulate your ‘pitch’
• Crowd funding
• In-kind support
• Tapping local private businesses
Session 3 – Exploring earned income – contracting and trading
• Do not rely on charity – earn your keep
• Contracts – the new grants
• Being entrepreneurial and making profits
• Do not be afraid to charge for services – it is the model that matters
Session 4 – Developing a comprehensive income strategy
• Where are now?
• What are your plans for the future?
• How much will it cost?
• How will you manage the process and minimise risk?
• Are financial and other organisational strategies integrated?
• Implementing the plan – at both the strategic and operational level
On completion of this Income Generation course participants will be able to:
• Understand outcomes and impact
• Explore various forms of income generation in the context of their organisation
• Diversify their income streams
• Plan for the future
• Feel more confident about generating income from across the spectrum
The cost of this Income Generation Training Module is:
Community Southwark members: £150
Please see our training booking Terms & Conditions before you book your place.
We have a complimentary place available for this session for a member of a small volunteer led voluntary or community sector organisation based in Southwark through the Community Southwark Bursary Scheme. To be eligible for a place, you must be a Community Southwark member and the income of your organisation must be less than £25,000.
To apply for a bursary place, please complete this application form and e-mail it to Clare Chamberlain at email@example.com
Join Community Southwark
If you would like to become a Community Southwark member, please call 020 7358 7020
What is included?
• Course Workbook
• Certificate of training course attendance
• On completion of the four workshops, each of the participants will received a two hour tailored 1:1 session with a Community Southwark Development Officer to support them in applying the learning in a practical and tangible way
Lunch is not provided for this course. Please bring your own lunch, or we can point you to a variety of delights available on the Walworth Road or in Camberwell.
We offer bespoke training and consultancy for organisations wishing to undergo a tailor-made programme specific to their requirements. For more information please call 020 7358 7021.
Community Southwark, Development Team
Save This Event
When & Where
We equip Southwark’s voluntary organisations and community groups with the tools and information they need to help them make a difference in the communities they serve. Community Southwark is a Registered Charity (no. 1105835) and a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales (no. 5090324).