Beginner course 10am - 1pm | Intermedite course 2pm - 5pm | 11th May 2017
Faber Academy, Bloomsbury, London
Publishing software expert Ken Jones has years of experience gained training hundreds of creative, production and marketing staff at the UK's largest and smallest book publishers. He has agreed to put together and run these 'Understanding…' presentations exclusively for BookMachine and you need no previous experience to join in.
The presentation is split into two sessions - join us on the morning to get comfortable with InDesign - opening existing documents, moving around confidently and making images and text changes professionally. The afternoon session then gives an understanding document structure, shows you the best way to build and start laying out new documents and how to create styles effectively.
This is a thorough presentation of techniques and we recommend you take notes! You can bring your own laptop. Stay for both sessions to get the most out of the day, meet other industry professionals and have some lunch (included if you stay all day).
- Opening InDesign documents
- Navigating the document confidently
- Panels and workspaces
- Layering and stacking
- Creating and altering frames
- Selecting, arranging and grouping objects
- Working with colours
- Adding and adjusting image content
- Handling image links
- Placing text from Word
- Different text importing techniques
- Selecting and editing text
- Applying Character and Paragraph styles
- Handling fonts
- Exporting for the screen - PDF, JPEG and PNG
Lunch will be included for those who book for both sessions.
Afternoon session 2pm-5pm
- Making new documents professionally
- Working with Master Pages
- Using rulers, grids and guides
- Stroke and fill options
- Align panel, smart guides and smart spacing
- Moving content between layers
- The Effects panel
- Creating text and object styles
- Threading text frames
- Working with longer passages of text
- Understanding fitting options
- Adding and moving pages
- Sections and auto-numbering
- PreFlighting and packaging
- Exporting for production - PDF and EPUB
Ken Jones is a publishing software expert with over ten years experience as Technical Production Manager, software trainer and developer at Penguin Group UK. He is the mastermind behind Circular Software, which offers workflow advice, software tools and training to improve how publishers produce their illustrated print and digital books.
Save This Event
When & Where
The most exciting time in the history of books and publishing is right now. BookMachine is a series of events and a website for the people who are making it all happen.