Actions and Detail Panel
Innovation in Livestock Buildings Event - Integration of multiple new techn...
Thu 27 October 2016, 09:30 – 16:30 BST
Innovation in livestock buildings - understanding challenges and opportunities in livestock housing and associated integrated technologies (e.g. sensors, robotics, diagnostics, energy, biosecurity etc.)
Livestock housing, especially where livestock are intensively reared, are increasingly important to the productivity and profitability of farm businesses. This has become evermore apparent when thinking about meeting the global challenges facing agriculture in the near future:
- A rising population and increasing demand for livestock products
- Rapid development of emerging economies
- Shortage of land, water and energy
Scientific and technological advances in the understanding of livestock’s requirements (e.g. nutrition, environment, social interaction) and therefore the suitable control of such requirements, coupled with meeting the requirements of the processing and retail industries, are quickly evolving. With the increased acceptance of using newly developed technology on-farm, new systems are being constantly developed, but often separately and many are not easy to integrate.
There is a need to link up the needs of the end-users and livestock with innovators from many areas, and we propose to use this workshop as a means to join up thinking in the initiation of housing (re)design, incorporating as appropriate new advances in e.g. sensors, environmental control, biosecurity, lighting, hygiene, water, health, nutrition (including feeding systems), robotics, water supply and usage, retail planning, and waste.
The formal agenda is still being finalised, but delegates will hear about:
- A farmers perspective of their and livestock’s needs from their buildings, with an insight into their experience of integrating multiple systems - David Speller, Applied Poultry
- Cutting edge environmental control systems and designing these for modern livestock buildings – Hugh Crabtree, Farmex
- Designing technology and housing for livestock’s needs – Duncan Forbes, Kingshay
- Integrating energy saving and waste management systems in modern livestock buildings – Sophie Throup (tbc), RAFT Solutions
- Considering the health and welfare of livestock in building design – tbc
- Livestock building design and construction – Bo Rosberg, Agrifarm
- Creating the best of outdoors indoors – tbc, Galebreaker Agri
- Funding opportunities – Innovate UK
There will also be an opportunity for delegates to make a short 5 minute pitch presentation on opportunities for collaboration. The short presentation should detail specific agricultural challenges requiring new solutions, OR solutions that could potentially be applied to benefit agriculture in terms of housing design or integration.
Ticket price £20 + VAT *non refundable if cancelled within 7 days of the event.
 Presentations will be limited to 2 slides, must last a maximum of 5 minutes, and must contain NO animations or videos. People wishing to present must provide a title summarising their presentation when they register to attend the event.
Presentation slots are limited, so the organisers reserve the right to select people to present on the basis of their presentation title, and will inform people if they have been chosen to present. People chosen to present must then send their 2 slides to the organisers no later than one week before the event.