Actions and Detail Panel
Innovation Lunch with Aston University
Tue 2 May 2017, 12:00 – 13:30 BST
There is a long history of companies based at Innovation Birmingham Campus collaborating with Aston University across a range of activities including Research, Knowledge Transfer and Recruitment.
Come along to this free lunch event to explore the latest opportunities open to growing tech businesses. The event will also include a presentation on recent industry collaborations with the University’s Computer Science department.
12noon Registration, networking and buffet lunch
12:20 John Richards, Funding and Industry Partner at Aston University
12:25 Dr Dan Cornford, Director of IGI Ltd
12:35 Professor Ian Nabney, Executive Dean & Professor of Systems Analytics at Aston University’s School of Engineering and Applied Science
12:50 Q&A session
13:00 John Richards, Aston University – event round-up
13:05 Further networking and buffet lunch
13:30 Event close
John Richards, Funding and Industry Partner at Aston University - introduction to innovation opportunities at Aston University
Dr Dan Cornford
Director, IGI Ltd (based in Faraday Wharf)
Dr Dan Cornford will talk about:
- His experiences of applied research from an academic perspective – what motivates many academics
- His transition to a more commercial world and the change in focus that brings
- His experience of R&D in the commercial context – what works, and what does not work so well, with a focus on interaction with universities
Professor Ian Nabney
Executive Dean and Professor of Systems Analytics at Aston University’s School of Engineering and Applied Science
Professor Ian Nabney will talk about:
- His current insight into the industry, having accrued over 25 years’ experience of research in neural networks and machine learning.
- How he has won more than £3m of research income, collaborating with firms such as Rolls Royce, Eon and Pfizer.