Actions and Detail Panel
Inspirational Outdoors - Outdoor Play & Learning
Thu 22 June 2017, 09:30 – 15:30 BST
This inspirational day will begin with the Internationally renowned Juliet Robertson giving the keynote speech. Juliet is the founder of Creative STAR Learning company and is the author of Dirty Teaching and Messy Maths. Juliet also hosts the popular blog 'I'm a teacher, get me OUTSIDE here!'.
The day is aimed at Primary staff (Teachers and Assistants), Early Years Practitioners, After school and Holiday club managers and staff. During the day we hope that you will share your knowledge with others, at the end we will have time for a question and answer session and discussion.
- Eden Project– Outdoor Learning across the Core Curriculum. (Gill Hodgson)
- Learning for life- Transforming Outdoor Spaces– making the most of what you have. (Kierna Corr)
- Sandie Hawkey– Cross Curricular Creativity.
- Juliet Robertson—Outdoor Literacy (Creative STAR Learning)
- Juliet Robertson– Outdoor Maths (Creative STAR Learning)
- Unnur Henrys– The Icelandic Approach
- Highway Farm– Working with Tools and Creating Projects. (Martin Besford)
- Gwealan Tops Adventure Playground– Thinking about Play (Bridget Handscomb & John Fitzpatrick)
- Niki Willows - Playing with Fire (and cooking)
Niki Willows - Outdoor Play Consultant and Trainer, and Martin Besford owner and manager of Outstanding outdoor Nursery, Highway Farm have collaborated to bring you this day filled with practical, hands on workshops. These will be backed up with research and evidence about the benefits of outdoor play and learning, and the effect this will have on you and your team and in turn your school or setting but most importantly the children that you work with.
This conference will cover many aspects of outdoor learning including;
- Logistics of getting out of the classroom/ setting
- Increasing staff confidence outdoors
- How to create exciting learning opportunities outdoors
- A wealth of practical ideas and activities linked to the curriculum that you will be able to 'take away and start today'
- Professional development and upskilling
- Evidencing outcomes within Outdoor Learning
- Links, support and advice
The venue is Mount Pleasant Ecological Park and has been developed over the last 10 years as a unique community resource, all set within 42 acres of organic farmland, in an area of outstanding natural beauty on the north Cornish coast. If you are interested in buildings the Eco-Park has the largest load bearing rammed earth structure in the UK, tyre amphitheatre, walled fire circle and covered courtyard. A perfect location for this inspirational training opportunity.
Running order -
Welcome and introductions
Keynote speaker - Juliet Robertson
“Juliet Robertson’s sessions were truly outstanding. Some of the best training I have ever been on. It is also extremely helpful to have access to so many of her resources following the course.” Course participant, East Ayrshire, March 2016
Workshops 1 & 2,
Q & A - Close
You will choose your 3 workshops on the day, This will be on a first come first served basis.
Please dress for the glorious Cornish weather - this could mean sunscreen, or full waterproofs, or most likely- both! Please be prepared.
After the event you will receive a PDF with photos of the day, how the workshop linked to the curriculum and risk benefit assessments for each activity, links and further reading.
Accomodation, Please book this independantly
Camping is availible at the venue, please contact the Eco-park direct.
EcoPark Office 01209 891500 email@example.com
The Unicorn pub less than 2 miles away, with B&B and dorm style rooms (if you're bringing your whole staff team!)
Travelodge at Hayle, less than 10 miles away.
Take the St Agnes turning off the A30 (at Starbucks) follow the signs to Porthtowan. At the top of Chapel Hill turn left signposted Mount Pleasant Ecological Park.
Social Media - please use #IOP17 which stands for Inspirational Outdoors Porthtowan 2017 - watch this space for 2018!
If you'd like to chat to others about the event please feel free on our Facebook page