Fascinated by quantum physics and want to find out more? Six leading experts in the field will guide you through this intriguing and often bizarre world in our one-day masterclass, hosted by acclaimed author Michael Brooks.
What to expect:
Quantum theory is our very best description of the microscopic world of atoms and their constituents. It has given us lasers, computers and nuclear reactors, and even tells us how the sun shines and why the ground beneath our feet is solid.
Yet the quantum world defies our sensibilities – it is a place where objects can be in two places at once, influence each other at opposite sides of the cosmos and nothing is as it seems until you measure it. Why is the quantum world so strange? Where does it begin and end? And what does this mean for the bedrock of reality?
In attempting to address such frontier questions, physicists have come to realise that the quantum world promises exciting new technologies: the ability to communicate with absolute security, computers more powerful than anything built before and even quantum teleportation.
Join our speakers on a highly engaging journey through the quantum world and prepare to expand your mind.
- Johnjoe McFadden, professor of molecular genetics at the University of Surrey and co-author of Life on the Edge: The Coming Age of Quantum Biology
- Michael Brooks, New Scientist consultant and author of bestseller 13 Things That Don't Make Sense
- Naomi Nickerson, distributed quantum computing researcher at Imperial College London
- Mark Thompson, professor of quantum photonics at the University of Bristol
- David Tong, professor of theoretical physics at the University of Cambridge
- Vlatko Vedral, professor of quantum information science at the University of Oxford
- Stephanie Wehner, associate professor in quantum information, QuTech, Delft University of Technology
Topics covered will include:
- How we know the world is quantum
- Is life quantum?
- Teleportation and the quantum information revolution
- The promise of quantum computing
- Theory of everything
Who should attend:
Whether you're a scientist, student or are only casually interested in the quantum world, Instant Expert: The Quantum World offers the chance to learn directly from the experts in this fascinating field with our one-day masterclass.
- You are curious about quantum physics and want a step-by-step guide without mathematics
- Popular articles have whetted your appetite, yet you have struggled to understand physics textbooks
- You want to learn about the frontiers of research from scientists at the coalface
What’s included in your ticket:
- In-depth and engaging talks from 7 leading quantum experts
- Ask-an-expert sessions - dig deeper into a subject with our speakers
- Your chance to meet the speakers and host Michael Brooks, author of 13 Things That Don't Make Sense
- Buffet lunch, plus morning and afternoon refreshments
- Exclusive New Scientist Live - Instant Expert: The Quantum World Certificate
- Delegate pack including hand-picked book offers and exclusive magazine subscription deal
Date: Saturday 14 November 2015
Times: 10am - 5pm (doors at 9:30am)
Location: Conference Centre, The British Library, 96 Euston Road, London, NW1 2DB
- Doors to the Conference Centre will open at 9:30am. Finish time will be 5pm
- Don't forget to bring your ticket with you as this will be required to gain entry (we can scan this from a print out or off a mobile / tablet / smartwatch screen)
- A buffet lunch is included in your ticket price and 50 minutes has been planned for lunch
- Please provide the name of all attendees on the order form at the time of purchase. If for any reason you need to change the name of an attendee, you can do this by logging into your Eventbrite account and finding your ticket in the "My Tickets" section.
- The full schedule / running order will be confirmed closer to the day of the event and will be emailed to all ticket holders in advance of the day
- New Scientist reserves the right to cancel the event. Full refunds will be available to all ticket holders in the event of this happening.
- If for any reason you are no longer able to attend, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible - refunds won't be available in the 14 days prior to the event, unless the event has sold out and we are able to resell your ticket(s)
- Should you require details about disabled access, please contact us at email@example.com
- Tickets are only available in advance through Eventbrite and are subject to availability
- If you attended the previous Instant Expert: The Quantum World event in February of this year, please be aware that this event will be covering the same areas.
- Jim Al-Khalili was previously advertised as speaking at this event, but due to unforseen circumstances will no longer be in attendance. He has been replaced by Johnjoe McFadden, who co-authored Life on the Edge: The Coming Age of Quantum Biology with Jim Al-Khalili.
Do you have questions about Instant Expert: The Quantum World?
Contact New Scientist Events