Sales Have Ended
Sales Have Ended
New Scientist presents... Instant Expert – The Quantum World
Fascinated by quantum physics and want to find out more? Six leading experts in the field will guide you through this intriguing and often bizarre world in our one-day masterclass, hosted by New Scientist Editor-in-Chief, Sumit Paul-Choudhury.
- Andrea Morello – professor of quantum nanosystems at the University of NSW, and a program manager in the ARC Centre for Excellence for Quantum Computation and Communication Technology
- Michael Biercuk – primary investigator in the Quantum Control Laboratory at the University of Sydney
- Howard Wiseman – professor of physics and director of the Centre for Quantum Dynamics at Griffith University
- Joan Vaccaro – associate professor and chief investigator at the Centre of Quantum Dynamics at Griffith University
- Mahananda Dasgupta – professor in nuclear physics at Australian National University
- Dean Rickles – professor of history and philosophy of modern physics and expert on quantum gravity at the University of Sydney
- Hosted by Sumit Paul-Choudhury, New Scientist Editor-in-Chief
Quantum theory is our very best description of the microscopic world of atoms and their constituents. It has given us lasers, computers and nuclear reactors, and even tells us how the sun shines and why the ground beneath our feet is solid.
Yet the quantum world defies our sensibilities – it is a place where objects can be in two places at once, influence each other at opposite sides of the cosmos and nothing is as it seems until you measure it. Why is the quantum world so strange? Where does it begin and end? And what does this mean for the bedrock of reality?
In attempting to address such frontier questions, physicists have come to realise that the quantum world promises exciting new technologies: the ability to communicate with absolute security, computers more powerful than anything built before and even quantum teleportation.
Join our speakers on a highly engaging journey through the quantum world and prepare to expand your mind.
Topics covered will include:
- Are We Living in The Matrix?
- The Unusual Quantum Rules
- Unravelling The Enigma of Time
- Towards A Theory of Everything?
- Computers Going Quantum
- Quantum Technology
Who should attend?
Whether you're a scientist, student or are only casually interested in the quantum world, Instant Expert – The Quantum World offers the chance to learn directly from the experts in this fascinating field with our one-day masterclass.
- You are curious about quantum physics and want a step-by-step guide without mathematics
- Popular articles have whetted your appetite, yet you have struggled to understand physics textbooks
- You want to learn about the frontiers of research from scientists at the coalface
What's included in your ticket:
- In-depth and engaging talks from 6 leading quantum experts
- Ask-an-expert Question Time session
- Your chance to meet the speakers and host Sumit Paul-Choudhury
- Buffet lunch, plus morning and afternoon refreshments
- Exclusive Instant Expert – The Quantum World certificate
- Exclusive New Scientist magazine subscription deal available on the day
- This event will be held in the John B Reid Theatre in the AGSM Building (see G27 on this Kensington campus map), by gate number 11, entering the campus from Botany Street.
- Doors to the John B Reid Theatre will open at 9:15am, with talks commencing at 10am sharp. The event will finish at 5pm.
- We require the name of each person attending – please ensure this is provided at the time of booking. Please notify us as soon as possible if you need to change a name.
- Eventbrite will email you your ticket(s) immediately after purchase. Please remember to bring your ticket with you as you will need it to gain entry. We can scan tickets from a print out, or off the screen of a phone / tablet / smartwatch.
- The ticket price includes a buffet lunch, as well as morning and afternoon refreshments.
- The schedule / exact running order for the day will be confirmed closer to the event, and will be emailed to all ticket holders.
- Should you require details about disabled access, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable to any other New Scientist event.
- There are no concessionary tickets available for this event.
- New Scientist reserves the right to alter the event and its line-up, or cancel the event. In the unlikely event of cancellation, all tickets will be fully refunded. Neither New Scientist nor its parent company will be liable for any additional expenses incurred by ticket holders in relation to the event.
- Tickets are subject to availability and are only available in advance through Eventbrite.
- A maximum of 50 early bird discounted tickets are available priced at $199 (saving $100 on the full standard ticket price of $299).
Date and Time
Australian Graduate School of Management, John B Reid Theatre, The University of NSW
Randwick, NSW 2052