San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
October 10 - 11
You may already have a WordPress site or two and you want yours to be better than the rest.
You may be contemplating spending several thousand pounds on hiring a developer/ designer for your new company website.
If you want to work on an existing WordPress site you are more than welcome, but we will provide a pre-installed site for up to a month for all attendees.
Who is this course for?
This course is aimed at those who’ve already got to grips with the WordPress CMS. You’ll don’t need any programming experience, but a little CSS knowledge is useful.
- Introduction To WordPress: What is WordPress? A little history
- Recap of the WordPress basics: Posts, pages and all that jazz
- Settings in depth: More ways to configure your site
- Advanced posts and pages: Featured images, the kitchen sink, paging and more
- Exercise: Getting to grips with the WordPress Editor
- The Image Editor: Make your own thumbnails
- Themes, Widgets and Menus in-depth: Learning the building blocks
- CSS introduction: An overview and some useful tools
- Pulling it all together: Improving the look of your site
- Exercise: Customising your theme with CSS
- Security: Hosting, plugins and good habits
- Caching: Make your site fly!
- Exercise: Security and caching plugins
- SEO - an overview: The strange art of Search Engine Optimisation
- Anti-spam techniques: Akismet and beyond
- Jetpack in depth: Juicy goodness form WordPress.com
- Exercise: Getting to know Jetpack
- E-commerce - an overview: An intro to selling your stuff
- More useful tools and plugins
After completing the class, you will have:
- In-depth knowledge about WordPress configuration
- A suite of plugins to enhance your site to your needs
- The ability to configure WordPress to your preferences
- The ability to use industry-standard developer tools
- An understanding of site security and Search Engine Optimisation
- Practical knowledge of advanced plugins
When & Where
Manchester Digital Laboratory (MadLab) is a grassroots innovation organisation, based in Manchester UK. Our primary areas of focus are science and technology; arts and culture.
We support a diverse range of communities and activities – from monthly meetups and courses through to public experimentation with new & emerging technologies, and collaborating with others to deliver new, interesting and exciting projects.
Our courses are learning for doers. Every one of our courses, whether it's electronics or coding, writing or making, is powered by the same magic. Bring your curiosity and a little bit of imagination, and we'll amaze you with what you can do!
Our main base of operations is a three-storey, 3000 square foot Industrial Revolution-era former weavers’ cottage centrally located in Manchester’s Northern Quarter. We are less than ten minutes walk from Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Victoria train stations, and just two minutes walk from the Arndale Shopping Centre. For directions, please see our website: http://madlab.org.uk/find-us/