Actions and Detail Panel
introduction to building websites
Tue 4 April 2017, 19:00 – 22:00 BST
Have you ever wanted to have your own website or blog but haven't known where to start?
Are you wanting to pursue a career in web development?
Are you wishing to brush up on your webby skills and want to take it to the next level with a Content Management System (CMS)?
Have you used a CMS before and want get started with the new Drupal 8?
If you have answered "yes" to any of the questions above then this is the training course for you!
About the Course
This 6-hour course is designed to give attendees a well rounded understanding of the lastest version of world's most sophisticated and flexible web site software; Drupal 8. Powering more than 1 million sites (including BBC, The White House, NBC, and The Weather Channel), Drupal is one of the fastest growing platforms on the planet! One of miggle's certified Drupal team of experts will guide you through the necessary steps to get your very own Drupal 8 site up and running by the end of the course. Throughout the course we will cover the following:
- What is a CMS and what is Drupal?
- Who uses Drupal?
- Install a Drupal site onto free hosting.
- Overview data models in Drupal 8 such as custom blocks, content types and taxonomies.
- Data modulation with Views
- Create a content type
- Configure display of content and images
- Installing a theme in Drupal 8.
- Installing a module in Drupal 8.
- Introduction to theming in Drupal 8
- Create a basic module in Drupal 8
- Exploration time
- Determine if Drupal 8 is right for your project
Don't worry if some of those points don't make complete sense now because they will be explained in great detail throughout the duration of the course.
What will be provided
- All attendees will be given a Mac to work with for the duration of the course.
- Coffee, tea, and biscuits through out the course.
- Lunch will be provided (please get in touch if you have any dietary requirements we need to cater to).
Upon completing this course you will recieve the following:
- A detailed set of slides you can reference at a later date
- Your very own website!
- A certificate of completion to add to your CV.
Who is this course for?
- Students or professionals wishing to get started with a career in web developement.
- Web hobbyists wishing to take their skills to the next level.
- Anyone wishing to have their very own website or blog.
- WordPress developers wanting to utilise Drupal.
- Current Drupal editors or users wishing to expand their skills.
How much is it?
£250 + VAT (this is an introductory offer)
You will need to be able to access an email account if you want to take your work away with you.
It is also recommended to have familiarity with a Mac and some expirience prior with websites (recommended but not required).
About the Instructor
Xavier relocated from California in December 2013 to join the miggle team as a Drupal developer. With six years of Drupal development experience under his belt, and as an Acquia certified developer he has taken on various Front-end, Back-end and SysAdmin tasks.
In addition to supporting clients with pre-existing Drupal sites, Xavier played an important role in developing Drupal projects for FC Lane, Travel Nation and Friday Media Group. Xavier is also responsible for building miggle's first ever Drupal 8 site for Think Nation. He is always trying to deliver the best product to the client by implementing responsive design, Apache Solr search, version control and maintainable code whenever possible.
Xavier is constantly trying to improve by looking for emerging technologies to use on projects and identifying technologies that improve the internal workflow. As a member of the Drupal Association, Xavier is an active member in the Drupal community, attending and speaking at Drupal events such as DrupalCons and DrupalCamps. Additionally, he is on IRC offering support and has submitted patches and sandbox modules.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
New England House is a 5-10 minute walk from Brighton train station.
Preston Circus and York Hill are the closest bus stops to New England House.
Is the miggle studio wheelchair accessible?
Yes! Contact us here and we'll arrange to meet you on the ground floor and provide you with any assistance needed.
What if I am absolutely rubbish on a Mac?
Contact us here and we'll help you get up and running on your PC laptop before the session.
Where can I contact the organiser with any questions?
Got questions? Contact us here.
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
Yes. Should you wish to transfer your registration please contact us here up to 48 hours in advance providing your details and the details for the new attendee.
What is the refund policy?
We will refund 100% of your course if you notify us up to 28 days before the start of the course. After 28 days and up to 48 hours before the course start we will refund you 50% of your course. This course is non-refundable from 48 hours prior to the course start.