This three hour workshop is intended to introduce you and your dog to the benefits of canine massage, perfect for those dog owners who have no massage experience.
Learn a little about what is under your dog’s skin and how canine massage can influence this. Increase your awareness by understanding how pain can impact your dog, both mentally and physically and what you can do to avoid/reduce it.
The workshop will contain both theory and practical instruction and you will go home with several massage techniques and simple stretches that you can practice on your own dog.
The day includes:
- Qualities, applications and benefits of massage
- What is homeostasis and why is it important?
- A brief outline of the canine skin, the circulatory, lymphatic and nervous systems and how massage affects them
- When not to massage (contraindications to massage)
- The skeletal structure of the dog
- Superficial ‘bony’ landmarks
- Muscles and how they work
- The main muscular groups
- How to recognise when your dog is in pain
- How can you help your dog avoid/reduce pain
- How to massage your dog effectively using specific techniques